• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Handful of issues

Riktord

To start out I bought my truck second hand. A 1971 AM General M35A2.

After going through my personal inspection and a thorough test drive on dirt roads and open land I bought her and drove her from Austin to Fort Worth, Texas.

I noticed a small steering wobble along the way and slight cupping to the oter edge of the right front tire. After storing her, I noticed the wheel has a bit more positive camber than the drivers side.

Due to the need to liquidate a multitude of other projects, I have been unable to attend to the deuces needs and she has sat with a crooked right foot.

The reason I bring this up is not only for advise but for confirmation. I am figuring it's the kingpins or maybe the bearings but my concern was brought today. Due to the inclimate weather, it gave me a great chance to drive the deuce to work.

With ice on the roads, I engaged the front axle and only when turning hard on a small patch of pavement without ice, did I notice a rather violent steering wheel shake accompanied by the truck heaving as well.

Any ideas?

SMOKEWAGON66

im no expert by any means but i do have many years of MV driving experience as an 88M in the army. the violent shake and heaving of the truck with the front axle locked in sounds like the U-joint in the front may be bad....ive had a few trucks do that locked in and was told it was normal but i dont know for sure. the cupping of the tire and camber might be due to the king pin. i would think that if the bearings were wore out enough to make the tire lean visibly it would be nigh undriveable. we had alot of deuces and 5 tons with the old style NDT tires that cupped really bad on the fronts but most the mechanics passed it off as bad tire balance most the time. id say get the allignment specs out of one of the -20 or -35 manuals and have it alligned. of course after inspecting your kingpin/bearings/u joints and tierods...doubt i was any help but maybe you got something out of my banter...:oops:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would you should disengage front when turning on solid ground. I doubt you bushings are bad as most of these trucks were over greased and under run. Check as said toe. tire pressure and shocks. Also I would get some better tires as NDT suc%. Firestone 831's and it willl change you ride compleaty and stears much better.

wikallen

Turning on dry pavement with front axle engaged is going to make the wheel shake, grab, bind.

Jack up one wheel at a time, grab you tire at top and bottom and try your best to wiggle. Then grab it front and rear, and try to wiggle. Use a helper and have them watch everything for play. If there is no play, then measure your toe and adjust if needed.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dodge pickup shakes and pops when turning on dry pavement with the front wheels engaged and sometimes on ice and snow.

sw

RAYZER

It seems that the ndt's will ware uneven on the front even if everythings in order and properly aligned,ndt's should be rotated from the front to rear often to make them last.front end alignment check wouldn't hurt.

deathrowdave

Axles are in a bind trying to turn at different speeds with front engaged. Very stressful on parts !!! NDT has nothing to do with axle turning speed

Riktord

I already have the tire issue covered I have M34 super singles but have yet to have the time to bolt them on.

I will give the rig a full check out as soon as I get it back home. We drove it to Denton i n the ice and snow and now she wont start.

Once I get back out there I have to determin if it's an electrical issue or if the starter is fried. She has had no starting issues to the date but now the starter won't even make a sound. No smoke, no sign just dead.

Barrman

Once you get it started, jack up the front wheel in question and see if you can move it in and out at the top. If you can, see if it is bearings or king pin related. Then adjust/fix/replace what is needed.

Munk

I have noticed the tire problem in the front as well, but ONLY the outside of the tire. I was told that from new they were cambered out (on the top) to help take the heavy loads. top out-empty and stand-straighter with a load. I have rotated 3 sets to the front in 2 years of driving. I have also checked the kingpins, bearings, ect., and it all looked good.

Riktord

Have NATO cables, will travel.........

Let me know if I can help in any way. I'm in Denton.

Jim
The truck is in Corinth and just got stickered yesterday morning. It's tagged, inspected and insured but some po-po decided it needed to be towed.

Either way I sent you a PM.

Riktord

Got her home. The Starting Relay was packed with ice and snow causing a short of the signal from the start button. I will be checking out the entire electrical system and using this badass aerospace sealant I have to seal all exposed connections.

I'll give updates as they come.