• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Handles" for rear side windows, anyone know what goes there? - M1009 / Chevrolet Blazer K5 Diesel.

Elektroman99

"Handles" for rear side windows, anyone know what goes there?

"Bought as seen" was the deal. Now I'm wondering what belongs on the side windows of the hood as a handle and whether you can repair them yourself or not. Or should one leave the "Pandora's box" unopened and do nothing at all on the rear side windows?

Does anyone know what kind of grip pieces belong in there, how they are attached and whether the effort is worth it for the rear windows or whether it rather comes to the fact that these are better closed forever due to the age and the hardness of the sealing rubbers?

Best regards

mutt1966

"Bought as seen" was the deal. Now I'm wondering what belongs on the side windows of the hood as a handle and whether you can repair them yourself or not. Or should one leave the "Pandora's box" unopened and do nothing at all on the rear side windows?

Does anyone know what kind of grip pieces belong in there, how they are attached and whether the effort is worth it for the rear windows or whether it rather comes to the fact that these are better closed forever due to the age and the hardness of the sealing rubbers?

Best regards

Best regards
They are locks that you are missing, LMC might have them but the last time I priced them very expensive, I used s a stick to keep them from vibrating open....

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Best regards
That's a civi top no biggie!! I have a civi out back I had to look at it. The civi truck rear slider uses the same lock to hold it shut...unless there's a hole in the glass then it's a different setup that kinda pricy.

edpdx

Best regards
If you are looking for a locking latch for the inside to get some security back. I found the Dorman types all over the net A-Z. They went in pretty easy and will keep people out as well as the OEM. A handle on the outside is handy in as much as it keeps you from crawling into the back to muscle the window open/closed, but it gives crooks the idea that they may find your vehicle OPEN- why help them? While at this project take a few minutes to add adhesive to any slouching rubber seals, and then clean the window slide channels and spray them with silicone to keep them sliding.dormanimage.jpg

Elektroman99

OK, can someone post pictures a) of the mounted lock and b) of the regularly installed handles here in the forum?

Well, maybe I have formulated this unclearly. I would like to have a picture and possibly - if someone has it - a material list, for the regularly installed handles on the sliding windows.
I just don't believe that sliding windows were installed on the M1009 or the K5 there, with only holes as handles.

If someone can then give me a link or an explanation of how to maintain, restore these sliding windows, I would be very grateful.

So if anyone had any information on the sliding window handles and maintenance care, I would be (am) very grateful.

Last edited:

Sezzo

OK, can someone post pictures a) of the mounted lock and b) of the regularly installed handles here in the forum?

Well, maybe I have formulated this unclearly. I would like to have a picture and possibly - if someone has it - a material list, for the regularly installed handles on the sliding windows.
I just don't believe that sliding windows were installed on the M1009 or the K5 there, with only holes as handles.

If someone can then give me a link or an explanation of how to maintain, restore these sliding windows, I would be very grateful.
The stock M1009 did not come with sliding windows. They are an aftermarket modification and not a very good one. Change them to stock windows and your problem is solved. There are some hardtops with intact windows for sale in Germany. Easy fix. Change the seals too and you will never look back.

Elektroman99

That's probably right, between 80 - 100 euros is offered here a hardtop for the m1009. I had already suspected that the windows were not necessarily already installed in the military orginal version.
But before I buy a new hardtop only because of the closed windows, I wanted to try to "restore" the old ones. I'm really just looking for the handles installed in the standard.

Elektroman99

Mmhhh, maybe I expressed myself wrong.

Yes, it may be that they are civilian and retrofitted windows. They are - please see the photos in the first post. I didn't want to do a complete replacement of the windows as the first step in solving the problem, although it is certainly an expedient solution.

I have the problem that there are no handles or similar on the windows, only "holes" with broken edge.
For this reason I wanted to ask if there are handles to retrofit, you can use other universal handles if necessary.
Silicone spray for hard rubber seals, I had understood so correctly or does anyone have other "maintenance" as a tip.

So:
a) Are there handles that can be retrofitted here?
b) Can you do "maintenance work" here that get the window more mobile and "tighter"?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mmhhh, maybe I expressed myself wrong.

Yes, it may be that they are civilian and retrofitted windows. They are - please see the photos in the first post. I didn't want to do a complete replacement of the windows as the first step in solving the problem, although it is certainly an expedient solution.

I have the problem that there are no handles or similar on the windows, only "holes" with broken edge.
For this reason I wanted to ask if there are handles to retrofit, you can use other universal handles if necessary.
Silicone spray for hard rubber seals, I had understood so correctly or does anyone have other "maintenance" as a tip.

So:
a) Are there handles that can be retrofitted here?
b) Can you do "maintenance work" here that get the window more mobile and "tighter"?
Tough part about the sliding rear windows are that they were manufactured by several different companies. Trying to find the right part has been darn near impossible on my chevy pickups... Crawling through the Web and eventually "throwing in the towel" and buying a new sliding window has been what I have had to do.

Wish I had a better idea.

Or maybe somebody else here on the forum has found a fix?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks