• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

klsmith925

this sounds like an awesome build cant wait to see more the ac idea sounds great
just wondering has anyone gotten a red dot system in their rig yet just wondering how much they are
running and how well they work in the duece

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
last weekend i cut, grinded, and punched out the 14 rivets holding the hitch and its brackets on. so that part is off the truck ready for reinstall. once the lift kit comes in i think we are all set to go. :beer:

DeucesWild11

How are you guys getting around the clearance issues with the Trailer bed and the Taller and Wider tires? I just put some 395's on my truck and noticed that the Trailer Bed frame's square supports are really close to the back tires. I cut two of them at a 45 degree angle so they are OK but I am concerned that if I load up the truck they may touch.. Perhaps I need to flip the hubs and the wheels as well to get them to move out a little? Here's what it looks like right now.

Thanks
Brian

Attachments

How are you guys getting around the clearance issues with the Trailer bed and the Taller and Wider tires? I just put some 395's on my truck and noticed that the Trailer Bed frame's square supports are really close to the back tires. I cut two of them at a 45 degree angle so they are OK but I am concerned that if I load up the truck they may touch.. Perhaps I need to flip the hubs and the wheels as well to get them to move out a little? Here's what it looks like right now.

Thanks
Brian
I have a 2 1/2 inch spring lift with 1600's, No issues, no rubs, no problem.

Thanks
Brian

no stringers?

HanksDeuce

The rear of the deuce frame is bare waiting on the lift kit. It should be here soon.

I booked my slot with the chassis fabricator to get my external roll cage installed. He is booked up for the rest of the year, so I will drop off Isabell the first week of January. I plan on rigidly mounting the M105 bed to the frame rails. To add angulation and structural rigidity I will be extending the external cage into the front of the bed area. The cage will protrude through the bed with clearanced holes and bolt to the frame just like all of the other mounting points. I don't plan on hauling much or making a dump bed so that shouldn't be a problem. I will leave room at the front of the bed for a JOBOX to put the fuel tank and misc tools in, though.

I can't seem to generate what's in my head to Photoshop, so I'll have to show you a picture from Google. I apologize, but the picture isn't that big.

Attachments

CHRIS UNGER

I was wondering why everyone opts for a trailer bed and dont cut the original bed down ? A guy in St Louis bobbed one and cut the bed and troop seats down and it turned out beautiful. Neat build!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am thinking that mostly... you just do have to bolt the new trailer(105) bed on.. using the original bed.. cut it down.. have to cut the front end off. weld it all back up.. then drill all new holes and bolt it on. it must be easy just to use a trailer bed.. if anyone has some pics please post them up or start a new trend to show the difference. :beer:

HanksDeuce

An idea hit me today, I may try a dual tank setup inside the front of the M105 bed. I will purchase an external pump and mount it under the bed, probably inside the chassis. I will have a small tank (5 gal?) for diesel and use the factory deuce fuel tank for waste motor oil (WMO). The outlet of each tank will be tied to a three-way valve that then connects to the pump inlet with a short piece of hose. I haven't researched enough on the WMO to see if a 100% mixture is ok to run in the winter.

This setup would allow starting on pure diesel, but switching the three-way valve to the WMO tank after starting would be more economical on my wallet. This follows the keep it simple stupid (KISS) principle because you don't need 2 internal pumps, switches, etc. The factory fuel gauge setup will be kept in the deuce tank.

Thoughts?

I thought about doing that too. For a different reason though. I was going to move the batteries and the fuel tank into the bed to move some weight towards the rear. If your not going to do any slope traversing, it should be fine. After I just about tipped mine over ( If the fuel had been in the bed it would have gone over for sure ) I decided to leave the fuel tank right where it is.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Earlier this week I ordered a Gov't rebuilt deuce tranny and low air buzzer from AlfaHeaven.com. This will eliminate the current problems of popping out of 2nd gear and a lot of movement in 5th gear for my existing deuce tranny. I'll probably keep the existing tranny and rebuild it myself for a suitable spare.

I ordered a 10.2" LCD monitor + reverse camera combo as well as a second camera from ECBuys.com. The reverse camera will be placed above the pintle looking down at the aftermarket trailer hitch I have. The second camera will be placed on top of the external roll cage to help me determine if I'm going to hit anything low hanging. :shock: I won't rely on the tiny IR lights on each camera for night vision. I will be relocating my current bumper hi/low beam lights to the rear for backing up. Soon I will buy 1 or 2 of the Golight 24v wireless lights for the top of the roll cage for aiding forward movement. Heck, I might even mount the front camera on top of a Golight for a pan/tilt camera setup!

Stay tuned for more details. I'm waiting on the lift kit + front deuce springs and much more stuff!

Attachments

Last edited:

Colonel Smash

I'm considering moving my batteries and tank to the bed after I bob my Deuce. Are there any pics around here where the steps and everything have been removed??

Hank, Both of your vehicles rock! I can't wait to see more of the deuce project!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks