• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

HanksDeuce

I updated my website to show the bobbed/lifted deuce. Tomorrow I will update the "modifications" page to show the bob/lift process as well as my redneck ingenuity used to swap out the existing transmission for a rebuilt unit.

Next up: Power Steering, A/C and Paint!

HanksDeuce

Thanks, Jim. I think I'm going to start tackling the power steering install this weekend (weather permitting of course). I'm going to take the fender and the driver side front wheel assembly off for better access. I'll try to take pics as I go.

HanksDeuce

So, I officially started the power steering install today. I drained the radiator, removed the grille, and removed the fan/radiator. Then the rain came. It has rained every day at my house for the past month. Sometimes I can time it perfectly to come home from work and mow the grass before it hits. By the time I grab a bottle of water and put my steel toe boots on to work on the deuce the bottom falls out of the clouds.
:deadhorse:

Dilemma: My 6 ton jack stands are too short to reach the bottom of the axle tubes because of my 53" Michelins, so I need to either buy taller 12 ton jack stands or put wood blocks under the 6 ton jack stands. My only option for the wood is to get some 6x6 treated lumber cut down and strapped together for underneath the jack stands.

I'm optimistic I can work tomorrow. GO AWAY RAIN!

NEW PART COMING IN: I ordered the remote mount brake reservoir from the SS classifieds. It should be here Monday.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just a note as this will apply to anyone removing the radiator. it is not necessary to remove the fan, as you tilt the rad forward, rotate the blades and it will come right out. i say this because it looks like removing the fan bolts would not be real easy with the rad in place. of course this only applies with no winch.

tom

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

Rained all morning. I couldn't work until after lunch. I had to remove both the winch driveshaft as well as the fuel inlet/outlet lines & brass elbows off the bottom of the injection pump to get the manual steering box out. Ran out of daylight and then the mosquitoes that carry West Nile started biting.

I'm not sure I could have removed the radiator while leaving the fan attached to the engine. My truck has a winch and I didn't feel like poking a hole in the radiator. :) 4 bolts with a gearwrench and the fan comes off in 5 minutes. No scratched knuckles or cut hands either!

Pictures and more updates tomorrow!

HanksDeuce

Well, I'm 99% done with the install of the Waterloo Specialties power steering kit for my deuce. All I need to do is pick up my NAPA coolant filter kit, fill the coolant, and crank it tomorrow!

Tom Bauer made one nice power steering kit for the deuce. I had to call him a few times for technical help because I'm one of the first to install his kit. The only hiccup was doubting an air drill + 1-1/2" MAC hole saw could drill the required hole through the deuce frame and reinforcement plate. No problems!

All of my pictures are on my website. HanksDeuce.com "click modifications"

Here are 2 pictures from the site.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work on your truck Hank! Really appreciate the photos & instructions you posted on your website about the WS Power Steering conversion kit; I just ordered mine and will be installing it as soon as it arrives...your photos & instructions are really going to help.

Thanks!

HanksDeuce

I installed a cheap slobber (road draft) tube on my bobbed deuce over the weekend.

I removed the existing axle vents and replaced them with a vent system that purges into the air filter housing under the hood.

As always, all of my pictures are on my website. HanksDeuce.com "click modifications".

Here are a few teaser pics.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

What did you do for brake lines? Have you driven it with the PS yet? How do you like it? Looks great ! Thanks, Jim
Jim, take a look at post #98 on this thread for the brake line info.
Direct link here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/1129972-post98.html

I have not driven it with the power steering yet because I'm waiting to put the front/rear disc brake kit on. My boots are torn and I need to rebuild my axle seals, etc.

Since doghead closed my other thread where I wanted to pay another steel soldier member to rebuild my axles, I guess I have to rebuild them myself.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a cheap slobber (road draft) tube on my bobbed deuce over the weekend.
I like that extended drain tube. I found a good idea from fellow Detroit Diesel owners in reference to "slobber tubes," which I plan on doing with my DD 4-53T and now I'm thinking of doing it as you have.

Take a short piece of 3 or 4-inch ABS plastic drain pipe available from hardware stores, cap each end, and have the drain tubes empty into this catch container. You can add a drain petcock and a pressure relief valve to it, so you can drain any runoff or "slobber" into a hand-held container instead of having it blown all over your undercarriage (or driveway).

Great ideas Hank, thanks for sharing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks