• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harbor Freight Winch questions

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All, I'm looking into putting a winch on my M1009. I was wondering what you all thought about the Harbor Freight BADLAND APEX™ 12,000 lb. winch ?
I know nothing about winches but this one looks good to me?
Thanks for your opinions.

Skinny

My group and myself had always had great luck with the Smittybilt units. Probably similar price points or construction. I doubt you will find a bad cheap winch.

They are all above and beyond the old Mile Marker 8000 from decades ago which absolutely sucked. The $300 winches of today are pretty good.

MDSA

I bought the harbor freight 12000 lb winch several years ago and have had no trouble with It. Pulled vehicles and trees with no problems except once it got a little wam after extended use, so I gave it a rest. Then back to work. At least two people have borrowed it to extricate themselves from sticky situations

ssdvc

I thought about the Harbor Freight stuff and it does get decent reviews for what it is.

Speaking of Winches (and not to hijack the thread), I've had this one for a while, but have decided, for now, to keep my 1009 stock. Can anyone identify this winch and guess at a value for me?

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very old Warn M1000. Looks unused, price would very wildly, especially depending if you have the solenoid pack and controller. Would call the rusty cable worthless, even though myself I would service and use it. Edit: just looked again, may be not rusted?

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, the "what is it' is right there on the label. As for value, that's essentially NOS (New Old Stock). Dusty, but never used. That gets you a premium over used price, but it does not get you new price.

I'd look up the equivalent current version from Warn, and see what it goes for in the real world. That's your high end, to keep as marker. You don't want to be asking $400 if the new version goes for $300, for example.

Then I'd check on some 4x4 forums and see what folks would give for it. Check eBay, check Craigslist in your area.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about the Harbor Freight stuff and it does get decent reviews for what it is.

Speaking of Winches (and not to hijack the thread), I've had this one for a while, but have decided, for now, to keep my 1009 stock. Can anyone identify this winch and guess at a value for me?
I would be interested pending price and shipping

ssdvc

Thanks for all the input. The cable reel is not rusted, just dirty. I believe I have the solenoid pack and controller, just have to remember where I put them (moved twice since I bought it.

All that aside, If it goes up for sale, the winch itself is VERY heavy. Shipping that setup would be expensive.

Skinny

I had a real winch in my old rock crawler. A Warn M8000. That was 15 years ago. Since I sold that truck every one myself or my friends bought were Smittybilt.

Sure you know it's 100% Chinese. But they all have worked well and done some tough work. Sure, we aren't doing competition rock crawling or an expedition through an African jungle. But for day to day stuff you can't beat a $300 winch these days.

That money used to buy you a Mile Marker only and they sucked balls. Slow and made of plastic. I think the new stuff is same quality as that entry level Warn I used to have. Same performance too.

Definitely spend the few bucks and get a synthetic rope.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All, I'm looking into putting a winch on my M1009. I was wondering what you all thought about the Harbor Freight BADLAND APEX™ 12,000 lb. winch ?
I know nothing about winches but this one looks good to me?
Thanks for your opinions.
I have a friend with a rock crawler jeep and he has used a badland 12k for 6 or 7 years. Still going strong and works pretty good.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no problem with some harbor freight stuff but here is my BIG concern, there is a time and place when YOU are going to really need that winch to be 100% functional and your NOT going to be able to treat it "gently" will the Harbor freight winch take care of your needs when it really counts? I try my best to to eliminate as many possibilities of failure as possible especially when it is CRITICAL that this winch works 100%. Those are questions only you can answer!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I prefer stock.... PTO driven....

View attachment 856537

(Apologies for the threadjack... I'm just so stoked to have that stinking truck!!!!)
There is something to be said for a mechanical winch for sure. I have seen M37's hanging from a winch cable with no wheels on the ground... No real answer for WHY. But there aren't a lot of vehicles that can do that - and a battery powered winch can't.

Skinny

PTO winches are cool if you have four legs and three hands to make all that work. Lot to be said for progress when you can tap a button on a key fob to pull cable.

Of course it leaves more shit to break. I used to have a hydro winch on my TJ. Plenty of pull power and cool factor. It still sucked. Only pulls if you leave the steering wheel alone.

Again, in extreme wheeling you want the finesse of electric. I wouldn't mix that up with durability of a farm workhouse like a PTO.

But you would never want that teetering on 3 wheels with the tires creeping and all you need is a quick bump. Electric wins every time.

As far as needing it 100%, sure but that's what a snatch block is for 🤣

Makes your winch perform 200%...

Last edited:

sneekyeye

Ive got the regular 12k harbor freight winch mounted upside down behind the front bumper. I cut out the front flat license plate area and put a roller fairlead cover on it. It has a Daystar urethane winch hook isolator so the hook nestles in sideways and hides easy. I put the winch box remote mounted to the fender next to the washer jug. It's wired in direct to the front battery with the included parallel circuit breaker pack. I had to buy some additional wire and I sheathed most of it with some cheap mesh wire loom with heat shrink on the ends.

IMG_20220218_162247548.jpg IMG_20220218_162315058.jpg IMG_20220218_162332772.jpg IMG_20220218_162436863.jpg IMG_20220218_162445404.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks