• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard brakes and steering.

Kellyboy

Just finished a 5" lift on my 1008. Had to drain all the fluid from my steering box to swap out the sector shaft with a 2WD one for crossover. Left it on jack stands and set the play properly and steering was nice and free until I started it. Figured I would need to add fluid to the master after starting it and a good back and forth with the steering wheel. The steering got hard as soon as I started it and cycled the wheel a bunch of times. No change in the master fluid level. Went to test drive and the brake pedal is hard as a rock and barely any brakes. I would think the pedal would be squishy if anything. Don't know much about the hydroboost but hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to add steering fluid to the steering pump.

Not the master cylinder. Unless you removed brake lines, then you need to bleed the brakes too.

Kellyboy

You need to add steering fluid to the steering pump.

Not the master cylinder. Unless you removed brake lines, then you need to bleed the brakes too.
Well ****! Did the lines and bled them first. Assumed the dry steering box would rob the fluid from the master as I thought they were the same system. Like I said I am not familiar with this system. Got a lot to learn. Will try that tomorrow. Never had a hard pedal with no brakes. Thanks again doghead.

Kellyboy

Kellyboy

Well I added atf to the power steering and the brakes and steering came back but moaned like crazy. When I took the cap back off it foamed over.dont know if it had ps fluid in it previously and it doesn't like it or if the new/old sector shaft I installed is letting air get sucked by it. Would it be leaking if the shaft doesn't seal right or would it just let air get sucked in?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I added atf to the power steering and the brakes and steering came back but moaned like crazy. When I took the cap back off it foamed over.dont know if it had ps fluid in it previously and it doesn't like it or if the new/old sector shaft I installed is letting air get sucked by it. Would it be leaking if the shaft doesn't seal right or would it just let air get sucked in?
You put ATF in the brakes?

sneekyeye

I dunno, man. At this point, you might just have to flush and fill the whole power steering system so you at least know whats in it. Bonus being you get out any old fluid and start fresh.

I have to say though, Ive sucked the fluid out of the power steering reservoir a bunch of times and always refilled it with power steering fluid. Ive really got no room to talk either.

I do need to go back in and flush out my brakes again too...

Also for edit #4, when you accidentally get air in your power steering, the pump will froth it up and you will need to let it sit a few minutes for the bubbles to rise. Fill it, and repeat until there is no noise when turning the wheel

Last edited:

Kellyboy

I dunno, man. At this point, you might just have to flush and fill the whole power steering system so you at least know whats in it. Bonus being you get out any old fluid and start fresh.

I have to say though, Ive sucked the fluid out of the power steering reservoir a bunch of times and always refilled it with power steering fluid. Ive really got no room to talk either.

I do need to go back in and flush out my brakes again too...

Also for edit #4, when you accidentally get air in your power steering, the pump will froth it up and you will need to let it sit a few minutes for the bubbles to rise. Fill it, and repeat until there is no noise when turning the wheel
Will try again tomorrow with hopes of air in the system. PS fluid makes sense to me but research is telling me dex/merc 2 was spec and 3 is acceptable. Not sure why ATF would be recommended over PS fluid unless it is a hydroboost difference. Personally used both in a leaky ps pump on a newer vehicle based on fluid cost and it worked fine.

Kellyboy

Jacked up the front end and turned it back and forth to full lock (engine off) until the gurgling sounds stopped (about 40 times). Topped it off again and problem gone! This thing rides and handles like a dream compared to before the lift and crossover steering. The driveline noises even disappeared without new ujoints. Can't wait to get the front shaft lengthened so I dare to flex it offroad. only 2.5" spline engagement now. Feel it is safe for a pavement princess but won't be off-roading with it like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks