• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hard start after 3-5 days

Buzz

my m1009 runs great and if I start it erveryday it starts fine, if I let it sit for 3-5 days it takes 4-5 long cranks to get it fired up. Could this be caused from air in the fuel system? Anyone else have this same issue?

jeepjseries

Correct me if i'm wrong but mechanical fuel pumps have a check valve to let fuel in but not out. Sometimes they go bad and let fuel drain back down in tart he tank. Also cheap overseas pumps are poorly built and seem to all ways do this to me. I found best solution is a electric fuel pump or in a diesel's case pick up pump. More than likely your 4-5 cranks is the fuel pump picking back up fuel that it drained out. When you start it does it start right away then die seconds later? Probably the issue.

Last edited:

Buzz

jeep, after sitting a few days it will start then die and then crank several times before starts. You may be right on the fuel pump I am not sure yet.

jeepjseries

jeep, after sitting a few days it will start then die and then crank several times before starts. You may be right on the fuel pump I am not sure yet.
Have had this same problem with lots of older vehicles and currently my m1009 as well. Every other mechanical pump operated vehicle I have had this was the cause. You got two options install a good mechanical fuel pump or go electric, good ones are 30 bucks and up for a good mechanical one. I usually end up going electric because another benefit is when the gasket fails on a mechanical you begin dumping fuel into the oil and we all know what that leads to if you don't catch it. I'll let you decide that one. There is a reason they don't use mechanical fuel pumps anymore.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks