• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hard starting in all weather (5ton)

5ton52's

i have a 5 ton with a multi turbo and i have trouble starting it up in all weather conditions .after it starts it will fire right back up .a friend thinks it maybe a fuel problem maybe its getting air when it sits has anyone had this problem ?

sermis

Have you changed the filters? Make sure the in tank pump is running and pumping. Open the vent on top of the filters and turn on the master switch. You should ber a good flow of fuel with the power on ans valve open. If that is ok then you might be pulling air into the fuel system.

lacoda56

My 5 ton does the same thing. After sitting for a day, it takes an act of congress to get it to fire up. The pump is working, good clear flow at the bleeder on the filter. Once it starts, it seems to be good for the day. Haven't really taken the time to work on it, but it sure acts like it's getting air in the fuel system. I'm planning on checking all the fittings and lines and if that's not it then maybe replace the injection pump itself. One other thing I just thought of is putting a check valve in the fuel line like the old Detroit Diesels used. Might try that first.

acetomatoco

Fuel is draining back from the injector return lines... they are transparent and you should be able to see the air bubbles.....if you tighten too tight, they will leak also...be sure to have all three filters in good shape... and drain the water from the primary weekly... And a reminder for you who never lube the dry side of your brake booster... you will have booster trouble...see your lube orders... RAM (the lubricant is OHT and the interval is 6 mos)

acetomatoco

Fuel is draining back from the injector return lines... they are transparent and you should be able to see the air bubbles.....if you tighten too tight, they will leak also...be sure to have all three filters in good shape... and drain the water from the primary weekly... And a reminder for you who never lube the dry side of your brake booster... you will have booster trouble...see your lube orders... RAM (the lubricant is OHT and the interval is 6 mos)