• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard to start

rfischba1

When I try to start the m1008 for the first time it first starts and shouts down after 10 seconds. I have to pump the fuel, and crank the motor several times until it starts. Ones its be run , starts every time, only when it has sat over night.
We replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and glow plugs.

Any suggestions on whats the problem??

Blake

fuel filter

Fuel pressure sensor sucking air behind fuel filter on firewall. Owens export has best deal on the sensor

tjmilitary

RE: fuel filter

Mine did the same thing. Turned out it was just a stripped hose clamp on one of the lines connectd to the fuel filter. Put on a new clamp and everything works great.

kentuckycucv

My 1009 does the same thing. Starts for a few seconds, then runs out of fuel because there is air in the system. I open the hood and open the bleeder valve on my fuel filter. start it for a few second, and it bleeds the air out of the filter, then I shut the valve after some fuel has bled out then it will start. Im going to try and find the leak.

Oh and thank you for telling me about unplugging the pink wire on the IP while I bleed the air from my filter. Makes things a lot easier.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
And "pumping" the gas wont do a thing in a diesel. There is no accelerator pump like a gas engine with a carb. take that POS filter out and put on a spin on.

underdog

And "pumping" the gas wont do a thing in a diesel. There is no accelerator pump like a gas engine with a carb. take that POS filter out and put on a spin on.
I agree.
And add that there does seem to be a high idle startup like the old carbed auto"s.
Step on throttle to set high idle. Then crank it up, after awhile it settles down to normal idle.

kentuckycucv

:idea:I took the O ring out and it was cracked up. I took it to Autozone, O Reilys, the Chevrolet dealer and nobody could match it. So I drove to a Hydrolic repair shop and the guy matched it and gave me one for free.
So first I put it in wrong and fuel was leaking bad. Then I put it around the plastic on the sensor and now I have my fingers crossed. I will see if its still leaking air in the next couple of days... and hopfully I didnt break the sensor while taking it out.

dependable

I recently had this problem (again) and replaced primary fuel filter mount. Took care of the problem. I have yet to take time to pressure test one of the old mounts to see where leaking. One member posted on a previous thread about this subject that he put in a Racore. You loose the ste=ice and water in fuel sensor, but with a Racore or similar set up you can see if you have any water, I may try this next time, because the replacement filter bases seem to be the same as the old ones that failed, correct me if I'm wrong.

kentuckycucv

I went to Home depot and boughyt the 1/4 tap and screw. I tapped the hole and put lock tight on the screw. Oh and I took off the fuel line and got my air compressor hose and blew out the port so that I didnt get metal shavings in my injectors.
Then I bled and sarted it... So far so good, Now I can go hunting tonight.:razz: