• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard to start.

sermis

When I got the truck it had been sitting for some time. Turned over 5 or 6 times and started. Changed the fluids and have been driving it. About 2,000 miles so far. Today when I went to town it started fine. Turned over 2-4 times. When I got home and went to move it took 10 to 20 second of cranking to start. Tried it again and about 10 seconds of cranking. Any idea what is going on.
Also not sure the turbo is working all the time. Sometimes I can hear it and others I cant. I also noticed that it was down about 2 gallons on oil. No major blue smoke. It does have a leaking front seal which would account for some of the oil loss.

m35a2cowner

Hard starting

Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be that the cable that shuts off the fuel in the pump wasn't retracting fully. As the engine turned over the vibration made the plunger retract into the pump and the engine started. Also, is the engine turning over as fast as it did when you first got it? Slow cranking speed (bad battery-low charging voltage) will produce a slower start. Has the temperature change over the time period in which your comparing it to? Lower temperatures will lengthen the start. How much oil did you put in when you changed it? 2 gallons in 2,000 is a lot without seeing any smoke. I think its about 5 gallons to completely change the oil. As for the turbo I only really hear mine when the engine (long uphill acceleration) is working. Stop and go around town I rarely hear it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Hard starting

In tank pump could affect that. Grab a soldier B to turn the power on and check the pump for operation.

bradmachine

I am a new guy but my truck was slow to start until I opened the valve on top of the two fuel filters on the left side of the engine near the firewall and let the air bleed out....when I drained the filters air got in and was trapped there....turn on the ignition,(don't start the engine) and with the in tank fuel pump running open the valve and let it run until you get all fuel and not bubbles....it worked for me....only takes a few seconds.... my truck has a semi transparent line coming out of those filters so I could actually see the air and fuel, this is what prompted me to bleed the air out..... for what its worth.....

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you changed the fuel filters lately? You might also pull the intank pump and clean the pick up screen. But like kenny said, make sure it's working.

sermis

Out of fuel. guage showed 1/4 tank. never had it that low. sutuck the tank and only 1.5" of fuel. filled it up and problem solved.