• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hard to turn at low speed at times

cpenni

hi all i have been looking at threads trying to find out why at times when i turn sharp forward or backward the steering binds like the front axle is engaging then it pops and all is fine. it seems to only do it if i turn hard one way from a stop. i have a 1968 M35a2 thanks.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the front axle is engaged, is the truck equipped w/ an air engage switch? -or sprag?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most probably you have a sprag transfercase and the shift rod in between transmission and T-Case needs some maintenance/adjustment.

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. And here is a thread that may help you understand what that shift rod is supposed to do... after a good service and adjustment.

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It could be that you have u-joint issues too. My money is on the T-case, but I figured I'd let you know there is other things if adjusting your linkage does not remedy the problem.

If you still have issues, post up. There is a couple styles of joints in these axles.