• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top dents and warping

Privatewrench

I'm prepping a pretty rough looking hard top to put on my deuce for the winter months. I striped the top and the back sections. I added sound dampener material and used the green sleeping mat on top of that for the back section. Came out pretty nice. I just wire wheeled the top today and coated with Oshpo. I have a few holes to patch, then I'll do the same to the top as the side.
My question....The sheet metal "skin" is so thin, and this top is dented and warped pretty bad. I can push the big dents out on the top, but it just pops back in. Does everyone's hard tops look wavy and dented in. Sure doesn't look like it on your pictures.

Thanks!

77 AMG

Yep. Mine is dented, holed and just plain ole ABUSED by the idiots that used to use it for a brush fire truck. Some of the smaller dents can be "reset" by applying heat and then cold (low side) of the dent. Larger ones, somewhat this way. I get patch the holes in it from the cable set from the (multiple) lightbar installation(s). yea....:roll:

Privatewrench

Souns like I'm not alone then. Small dents have been pretty easy tapping out with a hammer. Using heat is an interesting idea to try. The whole top, between the bracing is pushed in. I'm thinking of trying to tac in addition bracing to see if I can get the shape back.

Yep. Mine is dented, holed and just plain ole ABUSED by the idiots that used to use it for a brush fire truck. Some of the smaller dents can be "reset" by applying heat and then cold (low side) of the dent. Larger ones, somewhat this way. I get patch the holes in it from the cable set from the (multiple) lightbar installation(s). yea....:roll:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason everybody though the cab roof was for standing on I think the vast majority of them were dented etc. in this manner. If its a big deal (which it was to me) there is heating and shrinking methods in which you can actually get the dents to stay popped OUT. I took my cab top off and brought it to my Dad and left it there for a week the next weekend I picked it up and he did all the metal work and about half a pint of bondo and it looked great, I finished up sanding and got the truck painted and it looks perfect. I dont know what Memphis is charging for new cabs but that is another option also?
Good luck!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was caved in a little on the roof, as can be seen from the inside, maybe just gravity. As for the rest of the condition, the metal was starting to lift and flake a little. I gave it a way a few months ago.
20190320_131644.jpg20190415_150020.jpg

Dunkeye11

My hard top is from 1953 and is fiberglass of some sort
the top of it is caved in from people walking on it during its long service life i suppose I don’t think I can pop it back out

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way to pop them out is turn it upside down and stomp them out with your boot. I was concerned with the first hard top I bought and the owner did just that, when we unbolted it from one of his trucks. He just set it upside down in the bed and went to kicking them out. It was almost perfect after.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks