• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top gunner cutout

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a hardtop in place on my m35a2 but want to put a gunner cutout for a gun ring in. Yes im aware it may leak and etc, but theres been little instruction on how to actually make the modification. I've searched. What I have noticed is a trend in the motor-pool level mods done: reinforcement ring, canvas cover, and sometimes a mod done off a 55 gallon barrel.

Any insight, pics, etc would be most helpful. Ideally I'd like to use the hard top cutout as the actual cap or cover.

*Pictures are a fellow member's or from Google

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you focus your efforts and cash on actually getting your trucks home first.

Then cut a hole in the roof and wish it didn't leak, later.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed an NOS canvas or vinyl cover somewhere today(maybe it was ebay).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All paid for and reserved in advance Mr. Head. Besides, im not the only one wondering how to do this I bet.

Are you suggesting that your pending recovery is just a formality with no possible unforseen financial challenges, at this point? I wish I had that kind of confidence...

Silverback

Fuzzy, I bought my M818 mainly for the hard top as it has the cut out for the gunner, it will be going on an M35A3 along with the M66. I'm going to try and modify the two piece Humvee cover or build something similar for mine. My EUC should clear on this one soon, I'm going to have it transported to the house, soon as I get it I will get you what ever measurements and photos you need.

Attachments

flyxpl

I an interested in this topic . I have the ringmount , but no hole in either a softtop or hardtop . I also hate to cut up my hardttop it is too new to cut up . So I am forced to shoot in convertable mode .

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you want a hard top and a ring mount but don't want to cut the hole you can do this.

Rotate the ring all the way to where the pintle for the MG is at the rear of the mount, lock it in place and you can fire standing in the bed.

We used to do this when we were firing off 5 tons and didn't want to remove the soft top.

Unless you have the backing plate inside the cab you prob don't want to fire a .50 cal off your truck very much...it can litteraly rip the cab apart.

I'm not sure how many folks acutally own a "Ma Deuce", ring mount and truck to mount them on but I gonna venture that it ain't too many. You can fire other weapons off the ring mount if you have the hardware to mount them.

I have a duece, a ring mount but am missing the .50 Cal........anybody got a loaner????:lol:

Silverback

Mmmmm, possum burger.

Got the mounts for the M60 and the Mini gun, just need to figure out the power plug for the Mini. I know it can be done, just haven't looked at it close yet.

Billy Bobbed

Have you seen a hard top made out of 1/8" steel.The guy is going to scrap this truck so we made a trade and Im getting it Monday,I went down Saturday and took all the parts I wanted plus a transfer case pto drive and hyd.pump.This top is very heavy and well made,bet it weighs 200lbs.Going to use a fork lift to get it off.Im going to take it to my shop and paint it and put it on some how.I bet you can bolt a 50cal to it.:roll:

Attachments

Kohburn

the 55 gallon drum mod is probably the best bet.

take an opentop drum with a lit mounted to it and cut the top 1" off the drum. weld the ring to the hard top then remove the lid and cut out the hole in the roof. then pick from a variety of available drum lids.

that way when you don't plan to use it at all you can atleast use a nice gasketed drum lid that will never leak.