• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top Install/Removal?

01GRANDER

Hey,

I was wondering how hard it is to remove and reinstall the hardtop? I really want the ability to convert to a convertible but I definitely like the idea of never having to replace the top and just having a hardtop. I would assume there is less noise and you could coat the underside with a noise barrier.

I know that you can get a relatively cheap top from Breton but if removal isn’t horrible, I think I’d rather go ahead and buy the hardtop.

01GRANDER

Action explained that the original top uses different parts which I don’t have. I guess that leaves me with the aluminum version, I think you have to modify a few things but can use all the soft top components. I’ll just have to see if there is an easy way to remove it, it is aluminum so it wouldn’t be very heavy.

Gamble

Hey,

I was wondering how hard it is to remove and reinstall the hardtop? I really want the ability to convert to a convertible but I definitely like the idea of never having to replace the top and just having a hardtop. I would assume there is less noise and you could coat the underside with a noise barrier.

I know that you can get a relatively cheap top from Breton but if removal isn’t horrible, I think I’d rather go ahead and buy the hardtop.
Who or What is Breton?

NVM I think I found it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there Aluminum tops with the turret hole already cut out?

I'm thinking of swapping mine out due to rust potential as I live by the beach

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, any newer M11XX truck uses aluminum roof....prepare to pay out the yazoo Though.
Thanks Steve, but wouldn't that top require modifications to fit my 1987 M1025A1?

Are there any aftermarket companies that make these?

I'm looking for a fun truck, not a FMV show winner, so I'm willing to trade off OEM for something that looks close.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No modification at all.....you will just need all the correct parts on the B-pillar. And if you want the turret, you will need slewing ring....so figure about $7500

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a turret/mechanical turret. So am I correct to assume I will only need to purchase an Aluminum top?

Top view of my rig images attached.
no, you will need everything I pointed out, you cannot just drop the old Turret into the new roof without the slewing ring, the hole is much larger and the ring reduces the hole down as well as acts as part of the roof support.
what you won’t need is the current turret roof support, that gets removed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks