• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top Insulation

spentshell

What type of material is used for the Deuce hard top insulation/sound deadener? Mcmaster carr has a bunch of sheet foam to choose from but im not sure whats the best stuff to use, prefferably something with uv protection.

Attachments

ARYankee

I have no idea but I would be interested since I've been thinking of redoing mine. I thought about putting in some insulation/sound deadener and covering it with some camo fabric.

dm22630

When I re-insulate my hard top, I am going to use commercial carpet padding for concrete. It is like memory foam, extremely dense & a continuous piece (unlike regular carpet padding that is a bunch of little foam pieces). You can cut to fit & glue in place.

2cents

wdbtchr

Raybuck sells a roll of foil backed insulation. I used it to line the top of my '92 K1500 Blazer after I repaire the roof after my son rolled it over. I'm not sure how much the sound deadening is because the exhaust is under chasis, but it sure makes a difference in the air conditioning.

Heat Shield Insulation Roll 48"x72"

slotman

foam pad

stock stuff looks like foam pad used under gi sleeping bags can be got at most surplus stores stops transfer of heat and cold just a thought.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Get some rubber insulation. I uesd to install it and it kicks azz. I put some in an aluminum bed cap and it was noticeably cooler in there. I think one of the brand names is armaflex.

det45

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Several years ago I had some foam padding that had black vinyl on one side, the vinyl was perforated, much like a 1960s or 1970s car headliner. The stuff used to be common in custom compartments for sound deading and insulation, I'm sure you have all seen what I'm talking about at one time or another. I just need to remember were I got it from.

Bill W

I also used the military sleeping bag pads (2) and contact cement. Colemans has them for $6.99ea
I need to find some tan/sand colored ones for my current deuce

Attachments

Last edited:

firebuilder

I work for an off-highway equipment manufacturer in their sound group. Most of our sound absorbing/dampening products come from Soundcoat http://www.soundcoat.com. Their products are not cheap, but this is exactly what the type of application for which they are used. They can probably even make some recommendations over the phone.

I haven't driven a deuce, but from my reading here, most of the noise is low frequency exhaust and engine noise with some turbo whistle thrown in for fun. Low frequency noise is not absorbed well, you must block the noise from coming into the cab in the first place. I don't think you can describe these cabs as "well sealed". So good luck with that. The sleeping mats some people mention are closed cell foam and will not work as good as open cell foam (not to say they won't help some) to absorb sound at higher frequencies.

Just avoid the melamine foams because they are very fragile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks