• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top or a Soft Top?

Pat Gray

I have a hard top on my M35A2C and was wondering if a soft top is quieter in the cab while driving? What are the pro's and con's? ( I keep my truck stored under a RV shed )
Thanks, Pat

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a hard top on my M35A2C and was wondering if a soft top is quieter in the cab while driving? What are the pro's and con's? ( I keep my truck stored under a RV shed )
Thanks, Pat
No sags in the soft top in heavy snow (where you live). I would go for the hard top. You can insulate it and make it even quieter. Insulation helps keep the heat off your head in the summer too. If noise is a concern, insulation like a cattle mat on the floor will help cut down on noise too.

If you have a smartphone, you could download a DB Meter and measure the difference. Maybe go for a ride with somebody who has a hard top and measure to get a more accurate answer?

On the other hand, I have a friend with a Deuce and a ragtop and a very short stack. He parks it inside his 2 1/2 car garage sideways. He couldn't to that with a hard top! It is really cool the way the bumper noses up into the corner of the garage... I need to take a picture next time I am over there.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plaintiff #1 had relatives that lived in Centralia. Way to wet for me. With that thinking I'd go hard top and insulate for sound and temp. I have a fiberglass top and will be insulating it this summer. It would be nice to go topless and windshield down occasionally, but in north central Idaho I think a hard/fiberglass is the way to go more often that open cab.
Just my personal opinion.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a soft top on the truck and a factory hard top still in the crate. I like running open on beautiful summer days and don't drive in the winter. If the Deuce saw winter service, the hardtop would be on it! I actually have no explanation for owning a hardtop at all.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a soft top and now have a hard top. It is somewhat quieter now. I do like running topless, especially in parades. I have a wrecker so taking off / putting on the hard top by my self is easier than the soft top.

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ole Blue is fairly quiet with the insulated hard top. It's also a gasser so it really doesn't compare to the multi fuel engines. :) I have a K5 Blazer thats way quieter with the hard top than the soft but again, kinda apples and oranges.

HDN

Hard top may be a bit quieter. But really not a substantial difference. If that's your selection criterion it's pretty much a wash.

I like a soft top and the ability to (reasonably easily) remove it and run topless.

In your climate, I'd choose a hardtop.

JMHO
My A3 appears to have an insulated soft top, so it helps keep the heat in the cab on colder days. I'll oil up the top components one day and run the truck with the windshield down like my dad's WW2 jeep!

Senderofan

I went with the steel roof. As was pointed out.....a steel or fiberglass is probably a little better for winter service like mine is used for. An added bonus for me with the steel version.........I got magnetic mounts for my front and rear facing light bars. I just didn’t want to drill holes in the roof and have potential for leaks.......so far the magnets are working great 🤓👍.

I can definitely see where the soft top would be a lot more enjoyable in warmer climates.........kinda envy y’all.

What materials are used to insulate the hard tops?

ToddJK

I've had both. The only thing I like about the hard top is the back panel with the sliding window. Much easier to open and close one handed vs the zippered window on the soft top. For noise, couldn't tell ya, I wear ear muffs, lol. For seasonal in use, both work great. In MI we get a lot of snow and the soft top held up great to the snow and ice. With a hard top, there's more room for customization projects inside the cab, plenty one can do to mount and add things that intend to be permanent. Can also do the same in the soft top to some degree using the support bars, but nothing for permanent stay if there's ever a plan to take it off. I don't have any plans for extra electronics or anything like that so the soft tops seems to work great for me, even though I've never taken it off. I just pop a front window open a few inches and that works. The only real con I see on the soft tops are those tabs above the doors that turn to hold the top in place. Those are easily damaged and seem to break off over time. Easy to fix with some Jerry rigging of your choice or drill them out and use some bolts with wing nuts, however one chooses. Hard tops do have the win in the durability department though. While soft tops (vinyl) may tear from hard use or driving through trees, it's easy to patch. Hard tops will brush that off no problem, but there is the issue with the seals and rust. Personally, I prefer the soft top myself and it's easy to maintain and fix, thus is why I still have a hard top sitting around. Thought about swapping it, but decided not too. YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks