• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top

wildfire14

Seems that the going rate for a descent hard top is getting very pricey 1k+....... I've been searching old posts on designs of a DIY hard top but have really come up empty handed because the price of a hard top in the past was not horrible. Anyone have any suggestions or has made their own? post pictures and a summary on how you did it, or a link to a thread?

Currently i have a fiberglass top that is cracked, I've noticed that when im in the dirt and the cab flexes it causes the top to shift and i can see how and why it cracked particularly around the corners of the windshield frame. Has anyone experienced this?

A soft top doesn't interest me and i would love to have a steel hard top not fiberglass. I know some swear by a rag top or fiberglass and i agree they are great in their own respects.

BTW im located in Southern California/Inland Empire area.

wildfire14

Its beyond repair and severely warped. The guy i bought the truck from had it laying around outside, the back and top are warped/bowed in and the front rail that is supposed to make contact with the top of the windshield frame is cracked off.

ICAT

Do a search for Rosecommon. It has plans for constructing a hardtop on truck bought for use as wildland fire trucks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen several (some good/some bad) with soft top frames that had sheet metal fastened over the frame.

What does Barstow truck parts get for them?

Maverick1701

Currently i have a fiberglass top that is cracked, I've noticed that when im in the dirt and the cab flexes it causes the top to shift and i can see how and why it cracked particularly around the corners of the windshield frame. Has anyone experienced this? .

I used JB weld to repair my cracked fiberglass hard top. It is still holding well with no issues.

tobyS

I've thought about making one (steel), perhaps (the top part) from diamond plate, that I can stand on and that has enough front overhang to keep water out of the window hinge.

How about a built in roll bar?

Last edited:

yolner

I've thought about making one (steel), perhaps (the top part) from diamond plate, that I can stand on and that has enough front overhang to keep water out of the window hinge.

How about a built in roll bar?
The hardtop described in that PDF already has the overhang which I think is a very useful feature. Probably wouldn't be too hard to integrate a DOM tubing roll bar. I'd also like to add a small roof rack and mounts for lights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks