• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hardtop insulation replacement?

goldneagle

Actually I used 3 layers of the Aluminum Bubble Wrap Insulation sold by Home Depot. The 2 foot wide rolls work out perfect. You can always paint over the insulation if you don't like the aluminum look. I used the Scotch 77 spray glue to tack it in place.

Some people use the sleeping bag under-mats to replace the old foam. It's already green too.

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didnt think of the sleeping mat material - my dad might even have some laying around from an old surplus buy. The db engineering has some neat stuff too.

Just spoke with my dad - BINGO he has the mats !! - we will give that a try with pics to follow.

Question - suggestion for glue brand?

Last edited:

runk

If the sleeping mats are stiff enough (I used 1 layer of the Mylar bubble wrap, and then ~1" thick foam exercise matting), the original metal straps and center board holds the insulation in place fine without any glue. I did need slightly longer screws, though.

steelandcanvas

I didnt think of the sleeping mat material - my dad might even have some laying around from an old surplus buy. The db engineering has some neat stuff too.

Just spoke with my dad - BINGO he has the mats !! - we will give that a try with pics to follow.

Question - suggestion for glue brand?

I'm interested in replacing my insulation, how did the sleeping mat material work out? Got photos?

DIndFab

McMaster carr has 1" thick foam that's adhesive on the back side that I used for a tractor headliner. It was an exact match to what was in there.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks