• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hardtop on now some issues

Desertshark

Well I finally had good weather and time home to put on my hardtop. Took about 4 hours from start to finish. That was with removing to old soft top and mounting and bolting most of new hardtop down by myself. The issues I am now having is trying to get the dents out of the top. I have tried laying on bench and kicking it out. A few spots have some but most of it comes back down. Was wondering if anyone had some tips and or tricks to get more if not most of the dents out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

WYomer

Well I finally had good weather and time home to put on my hardtop. Took about 4 hours from start to finish. That was with removing to old soft top and mounting and bolting most of new hardtop down by myself. The issues I am now having is trying to get the dents out of the top. I have tried laying on bench and kicking it out. A few spots have some but most of it comes back down. Was wondering if anyone had some tips and or tricks to get more if not most of the dents out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The sheet metal is stretched then. Go youtube old school body guys tips. It'll have to come off and get some heat and maybe some contraction holes put in. Or throw a top skin on it and insulate the inside to hide the waves.

WYomer

The sheet metal is stretched then. Go youtube old school body guys tips. It'll have to come off and get some heat and maybe some contraction holes put in. Or throw a top skin on it and insulate the inside to hide the waves.
May I ask where you got it? I'm going to start a hunt for one, or build one this spring.

Desertshark

I was kinda thinking of doing the old hair dryer and dried ice method. May still try see what it does. As to where I got top. I got from another member. And I did know it was dented and I did know it was not perfect. So no blame to him.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can place a 4 X 4 across the doors and use a jack with an appropriately sized and shaped board on top of the jack to push up large dents. However, if the metal is stretched, it will likely come back down, or if you push up too much, you will have a hump. It was not uncommon for GIs to climb on top of hardtops and dent them. Same for hoods.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lots of tents and camo netting stored on hardtops, thats why they dented. Yes, push up from the bottom is about all you can do. I've had mixed results waiting for the summer sun and ice water to contract the steel.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way I have done it the best is with the top off the truck and laying it on a flat surface and flat foot stomping the dents out. The two done this way came out very nice.

Desertshark

Don't really want to take back off. Don't have any help and it was a booger to start with.... But sure me being short didn't help much. I will wait till summer comes and let it cook a little then hit it with some ice..... If it don't work I guess I will have not much choice but to pull off and try to fix.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have any pictures? I've seen some body shops do some pretty impressive, paint-less dent repair, a lot cheaper than I ever thought possible.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I'll try to describe something I found out about many years ago, and it
worked very well in getting the dents out of my hard top on my M54A2.
Note the dents weren't huge, maybe 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

The tool is called a slapper and it is just a piece of an old flat spring.
cut to about 2 feet long and polished smooth on the bottom side.
Place a block of metal on the underside of the metal where the dent is
and then whack the top of the dent along the edges (not super hard though).
I don't remember the exact physics of it, but it has something to do with
the sheet metal bouncing back and forth between the spring and the block.
Obviously practise on something that doesn't matter first.
I am no experienced mechanic or metal worker, but I managed to make it work
with out too much trouble.
The article is out there somewhere in cyberland, but My computer is an
old clunker with poor protection right now.

Last edited:

lindsey97

Take the top half off, and leave the back on. Place crosstie or 4x4 underneath, around the edges, to elevate the top. Apply pressure to the inside with people, or wood blocks and a backhoe bucket or skid steer. Go easy and slow. If this doesn't work, then I suggest a trip to a body shop. I bet they fix it for less than $200.

Goobs

You will never get them
out by applying pressure only. You need to use heat

get a friend. Use a torch and heat up one side of the metal and then have friend on the other side with a cold wet rag and apply it to the hot metal. Start in the center and work your way out.

I had had issues with my door when I welded in a patch panel. It was the only
way to get it out.

Desertshark

Well with them being more hard to get your hands the value and need for them has gone up a bit lol. Plus who wants to pat 1500.00 for a new one? Yes it would be nice but..... I have other toys I could buy with that money... but that's me. I did get mine to fit a little bit better. Just waiting for summer heat to come then will try dry ice method.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks