• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anybody bobbed 818 but kept the 5th wheel

Hooty481

Has anybody bobbed a m818 and left the 5th wheels so you could still pull a semi trailer? would like to see pictures if so. I couldn't find anyhting in the search that had anything about it.

midcounty

I guess it could be done, but you would have to watch how close you get the fifth wheel to the cab. You also would have to use springs that could take the weight of a trailer safely. I personally wouldn't do it, but I am more traditional and am not big on the bobbing idea.

kd7qaw

Theoretically, it could be done...but why would you want to? Besides the obvious drop in weight hauling capability, will it be asthetically pleasing? To me, it kind of takes away some the personality that makes an MV what it is; an important piece of history that somebody has spent a LOT of time and a LOT of money to keep alive. But this is only my opinion, and ask my ex-wife, I've been know to have opinions that not everyone agreed with. So, to answer your question, yes it can be done.
Good luck with your project! :beer:

I have thought of removing one rear axle from my m52a2 . and keeping the frame the some length . with my wrecker winch on the back I can only pull trailers with narrow fronts . the main reason is I would lose one axle worth of brakes .

Attachments

paulfarber

In WWII the 1.5 ton G506 (Chevy) was made into a tractor by removing the bed and adding a 5th wheel. I don't know the rating but there are some pictures showing some might heavy trailers.

The CCKW was also converted into a tracktor (the bolster truck) for moving pontoon boats... not a heavy load but I'm sure some other things were pulled with it.

Losing the axle would reduce the braking ability... stopping is a big part of any trip. I don't think an loaded 818 would last long with 30% less braking ability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks