• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anybody used a M1031's PTO for a winch?

biggestc69

I've got an M1008 and am in the process of getting parts to convert it over to the M1031's NP 205 transfer case with PTO. The plan is to use this setup for a rear drag winch. Has anybody else done anything along these lines? I know electric winch's are cheaper and all that. I've already got a 12k MileMarker hydraulic up front but I'd like to have a pretty stout setup that can take some heavy pulls out back for dragging logs up outta the creek.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Should be pretty straight forward on how to do it. Were you thinking some sort of 5 ton winch with a level wind? Just my armchair advice, but I'd consider boxing in the frame if I were to subject the truck to the kind of pulls you're talking about. Also add some bracing in to disperse the load evenly. These trucks only have a C channel frame. I could easily see something like this happening...

Edit, the F150 tow truck video has been removed from youtube, so here's a pic of a F150 raptor bent frame.

Attachments

biggestc69

Oh ya, there will be some added bracing. We always make sure to pull from a posisiton where we arent pulling "down" on the frame or suspension. Do you think a Garwood off a duece with a snatchblock would be a good idea?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Al long as you brace it well I see no problem. The deuce winch should work fine, if bed space isn't an issue, you could probably find a 20K 5 ton winch easier.

I know it's a little more to deal with, but have you considered a PTO hyd pump and hyd motor to drive it? You can valve it safely that way instead of having to deal with shear pins. Also would be a little easier to control. (Even from inside the cab)

spicergear

Had an NP205 in Velvet running back to a 10K Garwood from a deuce. There may even be a thread or pics on SS. I ran a two shaft Muncie PTO so the rotation of the winch on the way in would pull the way I wanted it.

biggestc69

I have thought about the hydraulics, but I'm gonna have to do a little more planning first. Man Spicergear Velvet looks BA! I have always loved the M715! The meanest looking vehicle stock! If I read your build right it looks like you had a front and rear PTO winch? I also did'nt see any pics of the rear winch. Do you have any that I could take a look at? Right now I'm in the rough idea stage and trying to see how I could make things fit together and work. Thanks for your help guys!

biggestc69

Got the M1031 transfer (twin sticked it while it was out) and pto in the truck last night. We were missing the rear out put seal so its on hold til tonight. Should be on the road by next week. Now to hunt for a 10k pto winch off a deuce? Any idea's where to find one????? And while I'm at it if you are in the midwest and are looking for anything from parts to full road ready trucks at more than fair prices hit up Muddobber40. He is in S.E. Kansas and is a great guy to deal with. He knows his stuff and if I ever need anything again he has my repeat business for as long as I'm in this hobby.

biggestc69

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but I do have a question regarding a deuce Garwood 10k winch. Is there anyway someone could get me some dimensions on one? I'm trying to get this all laid out in my mind and if I had the length/width/etc I could mock up a cardboard model to see where is gonna be the best place to mount it. Any help will be appreciated and if anybody has any leads on a good used one lemme know. Oh and getting a little off subject here but if anybody does ANY trail riding with these trucks and you have a NP205 TWIN STICK IT! I put that Spartan locker in the frontend and you get in a tight spot where you gotta turn around in the creek. All you gotta do is put the rear axle in Neutral, set the parking brake and engage the frontend in high or low and it'll pivot on a dime. Prolly shoulda started a new thread for that but if anybody wants pics or a vid lemme know. and I'll start a new thread. But the info on the winch would be much appreciated!

biggestc69

I've picked up the winch and later this month the fabbing and install is gonna happen. I have a few questions for some of you M1031 owners. I'm not running the pto throttle governor circut. It will just be my foot controlling the speed of the PTO. I'm in the process of buying all the shafts and carrier bearings and apparently its not a one size fits all deal. Different types are used for different speeds. Im using the circular shafts but I need to know what kind of RPM's the PTO will turn at lets say 1500 rpm? Any help would be appreciated, thanks again guys!

biggestc69

I know that pics are 99% of a post but so far nothing really to take a picture of to post. You can look in the want ads and see the picture of the winch. Which anybody on this site that lurks around a little will catch a glimpse of and front deuce winch. April 19th we will start the building and then there will be pics. We did decided on what rpm pipe to use 1000 rpm. My PTO expert says that the PTO should never get that fast. We are gonna double check pto output speed with my optical tach tonight maybe. Just to be sure. I guess I could take pics of the twin stick, I'll see if I can get those up tonight.

biggestc69

<object width="1280" height="720"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.facebook.com/v/10152249232295657"></param><embed src="https://www.facebook.com/v/10152249232295657" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="1280" height="720"></embed></object>

Sorry I have no idea what this is and cant figure out how to delete it.

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a BA set up for sure.

I LOVE THE FAB JOB YOU DID ON IT!

Way to go. You've gotta post some pix once you start using it to pull stuff.

THAT IS A GREAT WINCH

How much did it weigh before you put it in place.

biggestc69

Thanks Getting video's of it working loaded up now. The crate it came in said it was over 200 lbs. But I think it was lighter than that. Without the cable I could lift it by myself and put it in the truck bed. The fab work was done by me and my buddy in a weekend. One of those deals where you take everything apart and then look at the parts you ordered to do the project, shafts, slip yokes, yokes, u joints, etc. And then realize that nothing is right. So we used what we had laying around and it turned out alright. Video's to come.