• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has Anyone Altered the MEP 831 to make it super quiet, like 58 dbA or less?

ECS

Has Anyone Altered the MEP 831 to make it super quiet?

There is a plate in front of the exhaust exit, and I was thinking of adding a second muffler to make it extra quiet; or remove the main muffler and pipe it to a larger muffler.

Has anyone successfully done this or will it mess up the back pressure?

Right now I think it is at about 70 dbA, and was kind of hoping to get it down to 58 dbA ot lower.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has Anyone Altered the MEP 831 to make it super quiet?

There is a plate in front of the exhaust exit, and I was thinking of adding a second muffler to make it extra quiet; or remove the main muffler and pipe it to a larger muffler.

Has anyone successfully done this or will it mess up the back pressure?

Right now I think it is at about 70 dbA, and was kind of hoping to get it down to 58 dbA ot lower.
It is unlikely you will get the sound much lower just going for the exhaust pipe. I know in the civilian side of things people have run exhaust pipes into buchets of water and all sorts of other things, but the exhaust is not the only source of noise.

The mechanical sounds and the intake are also a large portion of the noise from any generator set, so about the only way you will get a generator that quiet (particularly a diesel unit) is to build a secondary enclosure on the outside, being careful to allow plenty of airflow through the unit while at the same time channeling it in such a way that the mechanical noises don't escape.

Using a secondary exhaust muffler might get you a few decibels, but still going to be in the upper 60's most likely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks