• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone attempted to make their own hard doors?

McSpeed

So...we had a historic snow storm this week - feet of snow around my house - hours and hours in the driveway just getting it cleared last night. I'm wondering if this will delay the receipt of the hard doors....should be here tomorrow. The hardest part will be likely the door striker install. I still have to decide on paint or no paint...etc. The truck is faded so if I paint fresh the doors in the woodland camo - it won't match the rest. If I go black or just green - that might be okay. Clear coat on the aluminum might be sweet too. Just totally undecided. My local 4x4 crew is going on a very difficult off-road trail this weekend. Not sure if it will be ready for that or not - The door comes with adhesive weathestrips that are one time use - so if I am to use them and paint - I should only install them AFTER I paint...Anyway.....

thoner7

Just an update on this thought process. We have an RV manufacture plant near us and I visited them yesterday afternoon. They sell raw materials to the public including the various gauge of aluminum and fiberglass that they skin RVS and windows. I can get a sheet of 8' by 8' Fiberglass skin for about $330. That would be enough to skin four doors. It can be painted, glued, screwed, riveted, and modified and or repaired with standard fiberglass technique.

They also have RV slider windows. Looks like a 15x30 is the most common in-stock horizontal slider. However, actual size it about 31x16 outer lip to outer lip and while it would be wonderful to have such a large window - that won't fit...or not at least as I can currently tell.

They also have door handles of various types - I need to go to a flush mount to keep from snagging and breaking one off when I'm off road.

I also called the local metal supply - They have all sorts of sheet aluminum. I can to a 1/4" or 3/16" for about $350 per 4x8 sheet - would need two sheets. This would require costly metal cutting blades but would not require the use of the existing soft door frame. the 3/16" would weigh around 25 lbs per door before any hardware. This could be made to fit more flush - put a bend at the belt molding area to make it fit the cab, but you are back to the same window issue.

More research and thinking to do....
What RV manufacturer are you near? I have an m1165 coming soon(!!!) and I want to get a window made for the rear wall.

thoner7

I’m not in Alaska, so I’ll try to find someone near me. Just wondered if anyone made a window

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks