• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

has anyone bought an m1009 from here?

cowboywitek

Motorsource inc. they're based in IL..... 2210 SKOKIE VALLEY ROAD, HIGHLAND PARK, IL 60035 I'm looking at getting an m1009 from here in the next few weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any successes with them... thanks
-Tim

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember that these trucks are 25+ years old and WILL have issues no matter who you buy it from.

midcounty

Dunno anything about them, but a lot of places buy these things, paint and service, and then sell for thousands in profit. I have had my best luck with M1009s from private sellers. GL, in this area anyway, has been getting insane prices for them.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009

Jeff at Motorsource is nice enough BUT MAKE SURE YOU LOOK OVER the truck you intend to buy!!!! Check all the usual places for RUST, and don't buy one that has had the wiring cut up and a manual GP button installed. These guys do some used car stuff to the trucks before they sell them. So just beware.

David

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are plenty of threads with info that may help you. I just entered "Motorsource" into the search function and came up with a bunch.

Well I'll be dammed.... Search worked!

ranchhopper

Jeff at Motorsource is nice enough BUT MAKE SURE YOU LOOK OVER the truck you intend to buy!!!! Check all the usual places for RUST, and don't buy one that has had the wiring cut up and a manual GP button installed. These guys do some used car stuff to the trucks before they sell them. So just beware.

David
Right on look at the inner fenders and see if their patched up like some I worked on that came from there make sure you look it over real good.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP's

Thread highjack warning:

My opinion is that the manual GP switch was introduced into use because the original issued GP cards were not that robust and failed the switch was a workable solution if installed AND operated correctly. However, most of the time the manual switches that I have seen installed was hooked up wrong. (Motorsource Inc.) Now you can get re-manufactured upgraded GP cards that work better, don’t fail and operate the GP system they way the engineers intended. All my trucks the have the new GP cards and work MUCH better than a manual switch. Anyway, watch what they do.

David

Last edited:

ranchhopper

I thought the manual GP relay was good? or is that something you want to do yourself.... thanks for all the info.
-TW
I use manual GP switch because in the summer your truck can get in that spot where its just warm enough the GPs wont actuate but the engine is just cool enough to be hard to start this is a bigger problem if your pump is tired.

TSgt.Kuchta

I purchased an M1009 from Motorsource Inc. this last April.
Very happy with the service, Jeff was a straight-shooter and they personally own and use CUCVs.
They state that all the CUCVs they sell are from Southern Nevada, Kalifornia and Arizona.

The M1009 I purchased from them was/is super clean with no rust anywhere.

My work schedule would not permit me to travel to the Chicago area for a purchase. I worked with Jeff over a two (2) week period via phone/e-mail and picked one out with only photos and info he sent me. (Yes, a HUGE leap of faith on my part).

Maybe I could caulk it up to luck, maybe it was Jeff's help, either way I ended up with a really nice example of a low mileage vehicle that is in better physical shape than most 2007 trucks on the road in Northern Michigan.

Steve

michigan4x4

DO NOT BUY from Motorsource. I personally had a very bad experience with them. All they really do is buy cheap M1009, M1008 and Deuces from GL, bring them to their shop and clean them up and mark them up double.

Take it from me. I bought a M1009 from a salesman named Jeff over at motorsouce last August. In the photos on their site, the truck looked mint. I was concerned with rust holes and soft spots. Jeff Assured me that there were no rust holes or soft spots as most of their vehicles come from the Southwest US. Based on the photos, their explanation on the website, and speaking with Jeff several times, I sent them a $500.00 non-refundable deposit to hold the M1009 for pickup.

1 week later I drove 5 hours to chicago and arrived in the pouring rain at 8am. Jeff was late, he didnt even offer me a garage to inspect the vehicle in. I looked in over while getting soaked only to find that the driver rocker had been repaired with body filler, holes in the floor were plugged with a rubber/caulk like material and painted over, the drivers door window regulator was all messed up and wouldn't allow the window to close beyond half way. The passenger side rocker was rotted through at the weather strip, the top of the rear tail gate was rotted through, the passenger side inner fender was rotted through.... "I" discovered all of this in the pouring rain and when I finally got the vehicle back home. None of the above was ever disclosed to me over the phone.

When I told Jeff that I was unsatisfied and there were in fact rust holes in the truck he first looked at me like I was lying, and then refused to even go out in the rain to look at the holes. He knocked $100.00 off the price of the already over priced truck!! After a 5 hour drive 1 way and a $500 non-refundable deposit, I was kinda stuck. He knew it and I knew it too....

For all you guys looking for a CUCV, look elsewhere. These guys use sloppy body filler, black putty, tin patches with sheet metal screws, brown duct tape to cover up holes in seats, and a Whole lot of spray paint and tire shine to make their vehicles look great. You could by a m1009 from Nellis or another western depot covered with sand for $2500, bring it home, spend two hours cleaning it and it would look exactly like the ones at Motorsouce with a $4250.00 non-negotiable price tag.

I will NEVER buy anything else from Motorsource Inc. AND, any chance that I get, I will tell others of my experience. They clean and flip GL vehicles, use sloppy methods to "hide" issues and damages, and market the vehicles as "rust free" "almost new", "completely refurbished" etc.

Stay away!!

ajsmith184

Not to contradict Michigan4x4...I did buy his truck 3 months ago..I think it's above average (especially for Michigan), and a good buy for the price.

I am not sure about a lot of the rust mentioned..I do know there is some mild rocker rust on the pass side...I am debating not even replacing the rockers when I paint it here shortly, as it isnt worth the effort..Even if so, one rocker is $20 and a few hours of work.

As for rust elsewhere...Ive spent hours under this thing....There is one small "hole" so to speak further back before getting to the passenger rear wheelwell..That's about it..The rust Ive found elsewhere is surface rust. I had a friend of a friend custom bend a new dual exhaust on it for me..Come to find out he is retired Army, retired in 92' and spun plenty of wrenches on these things..He commented this was the most rust free CUCV he had ever seen, and was amazed there hasnt been much work done to it..We went over the body with a magnet and couldnt find bondo anywhere.....The floors are strong, the bed is rust free....You can see where it looks like they went nuts with a black spray can...Which is fine by me.

As for the regulator..It was bad..I replaced it for $35 fro Napa and a new "cat whisker" snapped in..No problem since.

I guess it depends on your frame of reference...All of these trucks were military trucks..And all of them spent 20+ years sitting outside, being driven by younger kids, and worked on by younger kids who couldnt care less about them. If you go into like that, and know anything on them is fixable for less than $500 (short of injector pumps really), youll be fine.

One thing everyone can agree on, all the rubber is bad...Replace it all.

As for Motorsource.. I obviously cant comment on Michigan4x4s experience..He told me the tires were pretty dry rotted when he got there as well.....So thats ashame

I found out a month after I bought it from Michigan4x4 a good friend from College works there..Brad is his name..We messaged back and forth, and after knowing and sitting with him day in and day out for 4 years I can say at least he is intelligent, honest, and wouldnt screw anybody..And with his prior experience as a BMW guy I know he has other options if the place was full of sheisters.......Personally, that would lead me to trust them. Prior to buying this, I had PM'd a few here (cant remember who) regarding their experience, and it all seemed helpful and positive.

I guess the biggest thing is keep in mind these are 25 year old military vehicles that weren't little old ladies' church cars...They can, and will break. GL is not in the business of peddling cream puffs. But there is a great wealth of knowledge here...and any problem you come across has surely been seen by somebody else.

Last edited:

michigan4x4

Glad you are having good luck with the truck!!! ha ha ha... I guess I should change my Avatar photo now! I posted because I felt like I was misled by "Jeff" the salesman at Motorsource. To my knowledge, I have never dealt with "Brad". There was another guy with Jeff when I was there to pick up the truck. Maybe that was brad??? I dont know.

I knew these vehicles had been used buy the military, worked on by kids who didn't care, and "ridden hard and put away wet". I wasn't expecting a cream puff but based on what Jeff told me over the phone and the pictures that were on the motorsource website, the truck looked like it had hardly been used. He assured me that there were NO rust holes in the truck at all. I asked him several times about rust.

Anyways.. Glad the truck is working for you! Hope to see photos of your progress someday. Again, I just wanted to comment on my dealings with motorsource inc. Yes, I do feel like I was misled. Yes, I do feel like the truck was above average, yet a year ago, you could find the same truck (only dirty) at several of the GL locations for half of the price and the same 5-6 hour drive. Not so much anymore.

ajsmith184

Yeah they have dried up I think..Ive been checking Motorsources website and havent seen any since I was in the market a few months ago.

Was thinking the other day about the pics, Ill get them to you as soon as more work gets done..Ive basically been driving it..Ive put close to 2k miles on it so far without any major issues..The ignition switch seized, replaced that..Rubber..Shocks, shift kit...About it so far....Hoping to have paint and the soft top on by the end of summer..Just in time for the cold!

Here is a pic of it at Silverlake...We made quite an impression on I96, his buggy was on the truck and the blazer on a flatbed towed behind it..Ill upload a pic when I get home

Attachments

michigan4x4

Yeah they have dried up I think..Ive been checking Motorsources website and havent seen any since I was in the market a few months ago.

Was thinking the other day about the pics, Ill get them to you as soon as more work gets done..Ive basically been driving it..Ive put close to 2k miles on it so far without any major issues..The ignition switch seized, replaced that..Rubber..Shocks, shift kit...About it so far....Hoping to have paint and the soft top on by the end of summer..Just in time for the cold!

Here is a pic of it at Silverlake...We made quite an impression on I96, his buggy was on the truck and the blazer on a flatbed towed behind it..Ill upload a pic when I get home

Looks great!! Very cool. I am glad you are getting some use out of it. As I told you when I bought it, It sat in my garage most of the time I owned it. Was waiting for a "friend" to help me address the rockers, tailgate and other rust. Wanted to paint the exterior, use POR-15 or chassis saver to do the undercarriage, bed line the interior etc. I am glad you are working on it and it isnt sitting in your garage. If you are interested in a cheap paint job, check out the paint and bodywork section of the forum. A lot of guys swear by the Behr and Sherwin Williams Exterior Latex house paint.

Jeff