• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone captured CAD models

MASIC

Before I model the chassis and engine bay I was wondering if anyone else has done this. I just need references from the frame rails down for a project that in working on. Why create my own drawings of the existing when I can see or use if there is some available.
I like the 5 ton power, size and strength but then again the M35 chassis is more nimble to a certain degree. I am about to get started on a yearlong project (doing it on my spare time). I am going to redesign the 5ton to a more modern look. I’m going to keep the complete frame rails cross members and all, suspension except for adding one more steer axle, repower the drive train with a newer transmission, same transfer case only with hydraulic selectors instead of levers and update the brake system. The 900 series would be a better choice for myself but unless I find one worthy for a donor I do not want to dismantle a good one.
I am going to be using only 2 body metals – AR500 steel and aluminum. I have an excellent opportunity up here until I am able to move back to the US (home) to do the modifications and maybe present the design to our boys in O.D. I will keep posted once I have some drawings complete and a chassis to start with and not earlier.
Thank you

Last edited:

pyrogod117

That sounds like an awesome project. If you do the CAD drawings, would you mind posting them? Also, Take 100s of pictures and give us a step by step please.

gunboy1656

I have not used CAD in a long time so my skills are a bit rusty, But why not take a scale model and import those images into a CAD program.

Everything is already done and set to scale.