• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone ever just put a camper shell on a deuce instead of modifying a M109?

Domodude17

I mean the kind of camper you might see attached to a pickup truck bed. Or I suppose if you found one of the right length you could remove the wheels/axles of a tow-behind camper and use that. Reason i'm asking is because having a working bumpout would be huge, and the M109 doesnt seem like it has quite enough room, for my taste at least. Seems like everyone here does the M109 conversion!

daytonatrbo

there are some really cool ones out there. Some of my favorite ones are from member Unclemikey. He has some pictures of his deuce "camper apocolypto" and there are some neat pics of the 5 ton he did also: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ox-for-m35a2&p=1483824&viewfull=1#post1483824
My parent's had a Trail Manor camper back in the 90's. That thing was REALLY cool. Way better than a tent or the new style "hybrid" campers.

Really idea for this type of job and very light. We towed ours with a minivan!

ranchhopper

I found this traveling on interstate 90 in South Dakota 6 months ago, thought it was an interesting take on making a deuce into a camper! Sorry for the bad picture quality.
Wow that looks pretty easy to lay over on its side the out board tires and rims have been removed making it even more unstable.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm fixing to slide an older Hi-Lo on to my M927. The older trailers are narrow enough to fit within the cargo bed sides. It is a 17 foot long trailer box into a 20 foot bed.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GMC motorhomes were produced in the 70's and marketed as the only motorhome designed from the ground up to be a motorhome, as opposed to a cab and chassis or bus platform used for a base. These were powered by the Toronado drivetrain, which I think is pretty cool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_motorhome
Which brought about the EM-50.

em-50a.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

daytonatrbo

GMC motorhomes were produced in the 70's and marketed as the only motorhome designed from the ground up to be a motorhome, as opposed to a cab and chassis or bus platform used for a base. These were powered by the Toronado drivetrain, which I think is pretty cool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_motorhome
That was brought up in the Reddit thread where I found that photo.

My father always told me those GM campers were sweet, but never why. It was nice to see the why.

daytonatrbo

How about this. Fifth wheel trailer minus the axles.
I like this idea. Not far from my house is the shortest 5th wheel camper I've ever seen. Can't be more than 15' overall. Should fit nicely on even a deuce.

I was thinking it would be fun to stick (backwards) on a large pontoon boat. Instant house boat.