• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone here put a 454 in a CUCV?

robertl

I have a nice low mileage '73 454 in the shop and I know where there's a M1008 with a bad motor I can pick up for $1500. I've been thinking about trying to combine the two. I would do the twelve volt conversion while I was doing it, but I'm not sure if the TH400 in the CUCV can be mated to a gas engine without some modification.

Anyone have any experience or helpful tips for this conversion?

Thanks!

1981malibu

I did this a few years ago, this is what i did, i dropped the gas tank and cleaned all the diesel fuel out and put it back in. Bought a vacuum module for a gas engine to use with the th400. Used frame brackets and motor mounts out of a chevy with a 454. i kept the diesel radiator and used cool flex radiator hoses. If i remember correctly i used the wire that went to the injector pump to plug into the distributor, i believe this is 12v. That and the exhaust mods, overall it wasnt to bad, hope this helps P.S. i also did a 12v conversion following the info on http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

robertl

I did this a few years ago, this is what i did, i dropped the gas tank and cleaned all the diesel fuel out and put it back in. Bought a vacuum module for a gas engine to use with the th400. Used frame brackets and motor mounts out of a chevy with a 454. i kept the diesel radiator and used cool flex radiator hoses. If i remember correctly i used the wire that went to the injector pump to plug into the distributor, i believe this is 12v. That and the exhaust mods, overall it wasnt to bad, hope this helps P.S. i also did a 12v conversion following the info on http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf
Thanks! Did you change the torque converter? If you didn't, how did it shift? Did the stall speed seem appropriate?

jeeplvr247

you are going to have to take out a second mortgage for the gas. My uncle has a '72 stingray with a 454 and that thing won't break 10mpg if it is rolling down a hill with a strong tail wind.

robertl

you are going to have to take out a second mortgage for the gas. My uncle has a '72 stingray with a 454 and that thing won't break 10mpg if it is rolling down a hill with a strong tail wind.
I've got a Duramax CrewCab Dually for towing and my company car is a Prius when I need mileage. The 454 is for FUN!:grin:

jstier

Chevy's, ford's and Dodge's back then are like LEGO's. Mix and match parts and they just bolt together.
Even if you have to change conveter. Stock converts are cheap. any good trany shop will be able to hook you up

SCRAP

I say go for it, it will make an awesome bug out vehicle, toy , and wheeler. add a 4 inch suspension lift, new set of tires and you will have an awesome toy.

someone here might chime in , but I have always been told that bbc converters and diesel ones are the same, its the sbc you dont want to hook to it because of the torque difference.....anyone remeber??

1981malibu

I used the torque converter from the diesel i drilled out the flexplate so all studs would line up. It shifted fine, i used a vacuum module from a gas engine to adjust part throttle shift points and bought a governor recalibration kit from summit (different springs and weights) to adjust the WOT shift points. Its easy to get to on the side of the transmission.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you've got a 454 and want a gas engine CUCV, go for it.

If you want more power and still have a diesel under the hood, the Cummins 6BT is the way to go.

Lurchwolf

I'll put something up here because I did a conversion like this.

Truths:
1. You can keep the torque converter. It is a high torque rated unit that has a stall very near a gas TC. I kept mine as is.
2. The trans my at the most need only a minor governor calibration to keep the shift points correct. Mine shifts at 5700 RPM under full throttle with the vac solenoid running directly off manifold vac.
3. The motor mounts are different for a big block, but not a small block. Not a big deal, they are cheap.
4. You can reuse the fuel tank and lines, in fact the 6.2 and v8 gas motors use the same pump in the same location!
5. for the 454, a little fab work will be needed for the exhaust or you will need a donor truck to get y pipe and the rest. There are factory manifolds from early 80's trucks that will bolt to the factory 6.2 dual exhaust for gen 1 small blocks.
6. Keeping the diesel radiator is nice because it is huge, but there are no hoses I know of that fit without adapters. I recommend getting a gasser version to make this easier.
7. This swap is super easy and kind of fun!

Total BS:
1. You need a new converter.
2. You need a different trans.
3. You need to swap fuel tanks out.
4. And plenty more.
5. This swap is difficult.

Last edited:

robertl

I'll put something up here because I did a conversion like this.

Truths:
1. You can keep the torque converter. It is a high torque rated unit that has a stall very near a gas TC. I kept mine as is.
2. The trans my at the most need only a minor governor calibration to keep the shift points correct. Mine shifts at 5700 RPM under full throttle with the vac solenoid running directly off manifold vac.
3. The motor mounts are different for a big block, but not a small block. Not a big deal, they are cheap.
4. You can reuse the fuel tank and lines, in fact the 6.2 and v8 gas motors use the same pump in the same location!
5. for the 454, a little fab work will be needed for the exhaust or you will need a donor truck to get y pipe and the rest. There are factory manifolds from early 80's trucks that will bolt to the factory 6.2 dual exhaust for gen 1 small blocks.
6. Keeping the diesel radiator is nice because it is huge, but there are no hoses I know of that fit without adapters. I recommend getting a gasser version to make this easier.
7. This swap is super easy and kind of fun!

Total BS:
1. You need a new converter.
2. You need a different trans.
3. You need to swap fuel tanks out.
4. And plenty more.
5. This swap is difficult.
Thanks! That's some great info.