• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone here used this tool?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the OTC 7249 (of which HF's supplier copied). Works great on ball joints and u-joints. Also works on truck brake shoe anchor pins. OTC has a number of other adapters available for different vehicles.
Be sure to keep the screw lubricated!!

whyme

use one just like it all the time on vehicles around the house, do a lot of work for friends and family. ive never had the pleasure of using a press but then id hate to have to remove a control arm just to press the ball joint out. auto zone has them on their loner tool program so i just get it when i need it. def a worthwhile tool and does the job. but yeah i dont think its gonna be much use on larger trucks if thats your intent.

cornrichard

I have one of those. I also used it for my hub flip and it was good as gold. When I tried to use it for the ujoint in my 3/4 ton dodge van, it was too small. The first one I got was a bad casting and the end collapsed on itself. They took it back and gave me a new one.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
did you look at the 22 reviews on HF's site?

Yes I did look at the reviews but as one person pointed out, some folks may not be using it properly and they have problems. Seems split 50/50 whether this is good for intended use. Mainly I'm wanting to redo 2 drivelines for 3/4 and 1-ton light trucks, nothing heavy as of yet. Possibly more/different vehicles in the future.

Popping Ball joints would be a plus but has anyone redone their king-pin bushings on an M1008?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I tried to use it for the ujoint in my 3/4 ton dodge van, it was too small. The first one I got was a bad casting and the end collapsed on itself. They took it back and gave me a new one.
Too small? You don't say! what size joints--- 1350's?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say that I've not had any luck with Harbor Freight tools that do pulling, pressing, or impact tools (such as punches and chisels). They always bend or break.

I always just use a vice and an assortment of different size sockets to install u-joints. A torch and a hammer works great for removing old joints (cut the cross and then drive out the cups).

Last edited:

ODdave

its works, but keep in mind it says CHINA in huge letters on the side for a reason. I had one i used ALOT and it bent. got another and it bent.......Bought an OTC......hasent bent.

My input for what its worth...

ODdave

Yes I did look at the reviews but as one person pointed out, some folks may not be using it properly and they have problems. Seems split 50/50 whether this is good for intended use. Mainly I'm wanting to redo 2 drivelines for 3/4 and 1-ton light trucks, nothing heavy as of yet. Possibly more/different vehicles in the future.

Popping Ball joints would be a plus but has anyone redone their king-pin bushings on an M1008?
completly wrong tool for dana 60 "king pins"

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been underwhelmed by anything at HF. I did buy some cleaning supplies and such that were OK, but I don't think I would buy another tool there.

m816Buch

otc tool is quit abit stronger than the hf tool.........pricier too........but you don't have to worry about it breaking or bending unless you don't have "tool savy"

mbc

I have one I bought from advance auto. Don,t remember the brand but I,ve used it for balljoints and Ujoint in 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks with succes. I have also used it to remove torsion bars in chevy trucks. Not the correct tool for the job. But it worked.

skinnedknuckles

I use the OTC 7249 . I've seen it flex quite a bit when taking out stubborn rusted in brake anchor pins on semis. It can get scary when its flexing and then breaking those pins loose.... BANG ... I don't think I would trust those cheap copies from HF. Too dang close to my fingers arms and other body parts to trust Chinese iron on staying together. The OTC tool might cost more initially but then a trip to the ER to remove steel splinters from cheap Chinese junk costs more . Just my2cents
Paul in Janesville, Wis

onegmjack

I have a new OTC kit,wore my old one out.Will work for a lot of different thinks,mainly for balljoints.I pressed out kingpins in 40 Chevy car.Seen people use impacts on them but last longer using hand tools.

hole

I picked one up from HF to do the ball joints on my CJ a while back, worked fine for me. Haven't tried it on a u-joint yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks