• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone installed a roof a/c unit?

Sethroanoke

I am seriously interested in a M35A2 and was wondering if anyone here had tried an install of a small 12v/24v roof mounted A/C unit designed for an RV?

I am of the opinion that a little comfort would be a good thing.

If I end up getting the truck (and I am currently saving up the cash to buy one in a month or so) I do plan on modding a few things for comfort.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am interested in this as well. The last time I checked, the Webasto military units (integral 24v roof mounted) was $3850 before tax and shipping. :roll: That price eases the suffering.

Rick

Sethroanoke

I was pricing one more than adequate to keeping that cab cool (or hot in the winter with the heater).

TOTAL $815.87 plus tax and shipping of course. I would be doing the installation myself.

My main concern is the charging system of the deuce being able to handle the load of normal running and that unit.

I too contemplated such an arrangement

Most RV type roof units I've looked at require about 3000 or so watts @ 120vac and kick out 13000 BTU.

If you can find a significantly smaller DC unit say 4000 BTU, I would expect it would pull about 80-90 amps at 12vdc thus 40-45 24vdc.

The Deuce alternator puts out what, 65 amps?

If you upgraded to a 100 amp alternator it would seem feasible.

If you find a small DC powered AC unit, I would like to hear about it!

:grd:

Sethroanoke

Well that answered my concern and as I thought the charging system might be a tad weak. I will be on the lookout for a much smaller a/c unit and see what I can dig up.

If I find something I will post it here

davidkroberts

frigidare has a 5000 btu unit that people use on teardrop campers (ebay search for link) but fit up will be an issue as its shaped like a window unit ac but much smaller. The price starts at 100.00. it would be possible to mount the box under a seat and use a remote control to switch it. powering it would require an inverter as they are 110vac. they are energy star rated but im not sure about the watts required. possible to do but i dont think its been done here. something to think about and i hope this helps. the red dot mil units were for sale in the classifieds for about a grand.