• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

has anyone installed working radios?

edpdx

The military type, I mean. I was thinking about installing a CB. Then I got the notion that a working radio with the ability to call and receive might look cool and make use of the antenna I have.

Is it legal to install a working two-way?

markg

The military type, I mean. I was thinking about installing a CB. Then I got the notion that a working radio with the ability to call and receive might look cool and make use of the antenna I have.

those of us that are hams or in public safety do it all the time.

Hal O'Peridol

Legal to install, illegal to use unless you are a ham, and then only on certain frequencies.

combat jump

I just acquired an antenna that is for use between 136-174 Mhz, which includes the ham band from 144-148 Mhz. The antenna is completely military, so it will look right at home on my M1028. I also got a mount and brush guard. I'll be installing an ICOM IC-V8000 radio inside. Yes, I am a ham. I'll post photos in a few weeks when I get it done.

edpdx

Well it looks like the least expensive radio option is the set on the rear seat table. My addition being pretty good since the 4th grade, shows a bill of $900. minimum, and that's with parts that carry no guarantee. Then I got to take the HAM licensing exam. I better go with a decent CB and a paint job. Some brackets attaching it to the empty dash comm mounts.

If a set comes my way, I'll add it in.

Any CB'ers with a radio to recommend?

rlwm211

The Ham Radio Technician's test is not all that hard and I am sure if you can handle working on your M1009 you can handle the test. The caveat is that you cannot simply BS your way through the test. You have to learn the material and as I said, it is not that difficult.

If you are serious, get a study guide for the Technician's test That will cost about 15 dollars and make getting your ticket very easy. I prefer the Gordy West books myself.

There are online test sites for you to practice on before you find a place to take a test.

Let me know if I can help. Send a PM

73's
RL