• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has Anyone Lowered an M101-A2?

NMC_EXP

I'd like to be able to tow an M101-A2 trailer with a civilian pickup or M1009 without using a vertically extended receiver hitch pintle adapter. Due to the surge brake unit, the A2 lunette is higher than the M101 & M101-A1. Even with the tallest adapter available the A2 is still down in the front.

Has anyone changed the M101-A2 from the stock spring over axle to spring under axle?

If this were done, would it be necessary to relocate or change the spring shackles?

I'd rather not lift the truck to compensate for the trailer

The trailer is used for hauling stuff which won't fit in a short bed pickup or CUCV. Rarely anything heavy.

Thanks,

Jim

l1a1man

I want to change my M101 to a standard 6 bolt chevy lugs, can you just swap out the hubs and leave the existing axel? (not trying to highjack you, just interested in the same thing.)

NMC_EXP

How about smaller tires? The tires on this trailer I think are 15 inch.
Might be able to loose a couple of inches by using a different tire on the trailer but I think the difference is about 5 inches.

I should have gotten measurements before I started this thread.

Jim

NMC_EXP

I thought the m101 was designed for a 3/4 ton truck? I figured it would be perfect for any normal 1500,2500, or 3500 series truck.
I should have taken hitch height measurements before I started this thread.

I bolted a pintle hitch directly to the face of the step bumper on an F150 4WD and it was the same height as the lunette on an M101 trailer with the lunette turned down to the low position.

The M101-A2 lunette is a lot higher.

I do not like the tall pintle hitch adapters. They look weak and you cannot open the tailgate when it is in place.

Jim

NMC_EXP

I want to change my M101 to a standard 6 bolt chevy lugs, can you just swap out the hubs and leave the existing axel? (not trying to highjack you, just interested in the same thing.)
Don't know. Heard of swapping axles but not hubs.

Is your trailer lunette in the high or low position? It can be changed for a 2 or 3 inch height difference.

Jim

l1a1man

Don't know. Heard of swapping axles but not hubs.

Is your trailer lunette in the high or low position? It can be changed for a 2 or 3 inch height difference.

Jim
Mine is good for level, I have it on my M1009, I just want to have the same size tires/rims as my truck so spares swap out. I have the larger 5 lugs on mine.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The simplest way is to change the axle but then you have lost the flavor of the MV.
You can get axles/rims/tires at Tractor Supply that would fit the bill.
One advantage to changing the axle is that you could put on one with electric brakes.
The 101 axle has only emergency brakes.
Just my two coppers worth.

l1a1man

The simplest way is to change the axle but then you have lost the flavor of the MV.
You can get axles/rims/tires at Tractor Supply that would fit the bill.
One advantage to changing the axle is that you could put on one with electric brakes.
The 101 axle has only emergency brakes.
Just my two coppers worth.
Good info here, you have me thinking now.

mdl06g

I pull mine with my 3/4 ton, four wheel drive Dodge. My pintle is raised above the receiver and the lunette on the trailer is flipped over to make it a little lower... and yes, it's still a tiny bit lower at the tongue.

I crawled around under mine looking for a solution and it looks to me like you could take out about half the leaves in the pack... seemed the simplest to me.

MDL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks