• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone tryed this?

marksgarage2

I bought 6 m135 wheels and 10 11:00-20 tires. I was going to flip my hubs and run them. But how about the 2 m135 rims in the front and not flipping the hubs on the rear. Then put the rear tires on reg deuce rims and run no inner tire and let them stick out to run super singles? I am thinking about trying it on monday.

Westech

CPL
it will kill your bearings. the best thing to do is try to center the tire and the bearings to even the load. the more the tire/rin sticks out away from the center of the 2 bearings the more the load is on the outer one. and the track will not be the same. dont do it the cheap way!!!

CCATLETT1984

I agree with the bearings, but you really don't want hte front and rear track to be the same, that way both the front and rear axles can bit into virgin soil and not just the track from the front.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having the tires track is the preferred way off road. Let the front tires do the "plowing" and give the rest of the tires a chance to grip the surface below the snow or mud.
You get the traction from the surface vertically below the tire contact area, not from the front of the tire gripping a wall of dirt or whatever. That's why narrow tires will work well in mud, penetrating the sloshy stuff for traction below.
Add weight for more traction too.
With the dual rear tires on the deuce, no tires track. Good for floatation only where there is no "bottom" for traction, like sand.

Single tracking tires are best off road.

FSBruva

WT brings up a good point about bearing wear. But I wonder:

Does the two inch offset difference between running 1. outers only on stock hubs to 2. M135 wheels on flipped hubs make that big a difference? Do M135 wheels hurt your bearings, too?

Matt

marksgarage2

Well after hearing all the advise on here, I flipped the hubs today and mounted the tires on. Drives, steers and rides better so far. Will post pics tomorrow if its not raining.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt: water condensation and old, contaminated grease will kill your bearings much faster! M135 wheels alone, won't! And the 2" difference at the rears is more like 5 to 6 inches, each side.
But the point here is that rear tires should always follow same track as front.

FSBruva

water condensation and old, contaminated grease will kill your bearings much faster!
Got it!

I should clarify my 2" statement. I was talking about the implied extra load on the bearings if only the outer duals were used. I meant that M135 wheels are only 2" dfferent in RELATIVE POSITION TO THE BEARINGS/RACES. If you mounted some M135 wheels concave side facing outboard, as if they were the outer duals (nevermind that the rim doesn't accept lugnuts on that side), then you are only gaining a 1 inch narrower track, because of the difference in offset. Then, if you could somehow mount that same m135 wheel (same orientation) between the hub and the brake drum, it would be in the same relative position (to the hub/bearing races) as if it were mounted properly on flipped hubs. Thus, there is only 2" of difference by my count.

Which, by the same strange coincidence is only 1" different than the relative position of the stock front wheel/hub setup!

Please help me if my spatial reasoning is off!!

Matt

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful drawings, Gerhard! You must have spent some time on those. They should help clear up any argument about bearing loads.

Just for information, track width is measured from center to center of the tires (far left measurements).
In the front, it may be effected by toe-in and camber depending on how it's measured.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I was tired last night... Now I just found one mistake! The drawing is correct but one number is not! :shock: :?
Distance between center to center of M35 rear dualies is 12 ½” (5”+7 ½”). Where it says 5 ½” it should say 7 ½”! That is the distance the outer M35 rear tires stick out compared to the front, quiet a lot!

Gerhard

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, there still is a stupid 7 ¼” that somehow found its way into the new post! Please add that missing ¼”, anyone! It is 7 ½”, confirmed!
Looks like I’m ready for some vacations now… :?

Lax

This is driving me nucking futs!

Who's on first? Okay, Okay. You guys are killing me here. One simple question. If I keep my "stock" M35 wheels on the front right where god intended them to be when they left the factory but fliped one (1) set of all four (4) of my rear wheels per the published fliping instructions while removing another four (4) rear wheels (and tires) making a "Supper Single" would all six (6) tires track in one line like they shoud? :roll: :?:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The answer is yes. The sole reason for the "M135" rims is to widen the track about 4 inches, in which case they need to be installed in all six positions for front and rear to track.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks