• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

has anyone used a M931/M932 to take a CDL test?

jdknech

so I am a new owner of a M932, and in Indiana I dont have to have a CDL, depending on what DOT officer you talk to, so I am getting one to be on the safe side... has anyone used a 900 5ton to get a class A CDL?

Last edited:

Triple C

It has been a number of years since I took my test but I don't THINK you can use a straight truck to take a class A CDL. You can a class B but if I remember correctly Class A requires a trailer. It has been over 20 years since I took my test though so keep that in mind.

ZZ4x4

Typically there are CDLs for class A and B and there are non-CDL class A and B. You don't need a CDL if it is a private vehicle (not for commerical use) . Most RV drivers use a non-CDL class B. I took my 22 ton MK48 / 14 to the driver test and managed to get a non-CDL class A. The instructor didn't know what to make of the rig but I passed anyway. :)

jdknech

indana does not have a non-CDL, so its all or nothing... unless it's a RV, then your exemped... i was just woundering if anybody had used a military tractor to take the test, and if there had been any problems with the truck not meeting the requirments to take the test with..

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you are taking a driving test to obtain a licence, you are dealing with the government in order to get something from them. Let's forget the "right" versus "privilege" and "they are there to serve me" debates for a moment.
You are there to be examined by an examiner - you want something from them. The examiner has the power of government behind him/her (if not for real, then most definitely in his/her mind) and if you are aiming at a full-blown commercial driver's licence, the examiner may see it as his duty to protect the innocent public from anyone who may be a risk on the road.
I digress.

Fact is, the less "different" you are, the more you can blend in, the less you attract any particular attention or cause concern, the smoother those transactions tend to be. Remember the experiences of getting tags and registration for oddball ex-military vehicles that can get hung up on the question "which colour is it?" ( "green, brown, black") which will not fit into the box on the form that allows for one (1) colour?

You get the drift. You may have oodles of fun taking a 931 for the driving test, given the right examiner with an open mindset that finds that MV interesting and cool - or you will be in a hot place with devils and pitchforks, when the examiner is sceptical and suspects that you try to somehow abuse the process, in a way that he may not be able to grasp but has a strong gut feeling about. Maybe you attempt to obtain your licence somehow more easily than if you were to use a regular OTR tractor and, by the way, what do you mean your rig does not have to conform to the nitty bitty DOT requirements the examiner is oh so used to torture candidates with on the regular OTR trucks he sees all the time? Half of the petty stuff he is looking for during the pre-trip may not even be on your MV. What do you mean "that is OK"??? He'll SHOW you how "OK" that is, in just under a minute.

You get the drift. It sure is a nice idea and it may even work, but it is one of those transactions where the cost and risk may outbalance the fun really quickly.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you have a trailer, with full airbrakes(no air over hydro), you should not have a problem. The 931/932's are civi tractors anyhow, built up to military specs. You may not get a full CDL however, as they have autos, and some states make a distinction between auto and manual trannys. SC is one- Take the test in an auto tractor, and the license will have the auto restriction.

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Good luck and let me know how it goes. From the info I pulled from INDMV I didn't see any distinction between automatic vs manual tranmission so I think you're good to go on that. Examiners are hit or miss just be polite, professional, and knowledgeable it goes a long ways. Might get lucky and the examiner is more intrigued by the truck than anything else.

Stan Leschert

You are about to deal with the Department of Moving Violations.

What I have found, with dealing with them in the past, is that they don't like new challenges.

If you get tested on a type of truck that they know, you will have less problems.

Things that make them think, give them more reason to deny your request.

Borrow or rent a Civvy truck. Things will be much easier for you.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI in ca if you take a cdl class a in a 931 your license will be stamped AUTOMATIC ONLY too,so best to use an 818 and ditto with the others you can drive the tractor only on a cl b w a tlr is cl a.

jdknech

well, i spoke with the federal motor carriers, and INDOT, ISP-commercial division, and the BMV... they all agreed with each other (and spoke with each other) that i DID NOT need a CDL to drive my truck, even with a trailer on it... they all said it was considered a "hobby truck" and was exemped... i still plan to get the CDL, but that will prolly be next summer..

greenmonster

Yes you can get cdl with 5 ton b only with only truck, "A" with truck and trailer, you might also check into your state laws. In Wyoming with a "a" or "b" if you get clipped for speeding or doing burnouts in your new green machine it stays on your record longer. So before I got a cdl just for kicks I might check into that. In Wyoming it changes for moving violations from it staying on your record for 2 years to 7 years. Just a thought, I would not have one if not needed. I did however have the choice in Wyoming for a commercial or non-commercial license I went with commercial just because I figured it may be handy in the future.

quickfarms

HI in ca if you take a cdl class a in a 931 your license will be stamped AUTOMATIC ONLY too,so best to use an 818 and ditto with the others you can drive the tractor only on a cl b w a tlr is cl a.
If you use an 818 you will probably get an air brake restriction if they even allow that truck for the test. It is best to take the test with a modern civilian two axle tractor and pup trailer. You would not want to do it with a three axle tractor and forty foot, or longer trailer, where i took the test. They will require you to double clutch and down shift. This is for CA, other states may be different.

Tlauden

Lots of good info in this thread about different problems that a MV may pose in a testing situation. Makes me rethink about taking a M275a2 for my cdl test when i get it... Hmmm :/

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i still plan to get the CDL, but that will prolly be next summer..
If you have a CDL,,, ANY violations and they throw the book at you.

My neighbor is retired and in his 60s, kept his CDL. He got a DUI and had to go to jail. No CDL, no jail time. Of course he shouldn't have been drinking and driving, that was dumb, and after a lifetime of safe driving he got it when he was 62.

Point is, there is a higher standard of conduct for CDL licensees. Sure you want that?

jdknech

If you have a CDL,,, ANY violations and they throw the book at you.

My neighbor is retired and in his 60s, kept his CDL. He got a DUI and had to go to jail. No CDL, no jail time. Of course he shouldn't have been drinking and driving, that was dumb, and after a lifetime of safe driving he got it when he was 62.

Point is, there is a higher standard of conduct for CDL licensees. Sure you want that?
EVERYONE should be held to this just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks