• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone used Rubatex for sound dampening?

deuceaid

Banned
Rubatex is a closed cell foam pad used mostly in the refrigeration industry. It comes in different thicknesses 1/4 to 2 inches in 1/4 inch increments and is rated at 3.8 r value per 1 inch. Has anyone used to dampen the noise in a deuce?

I ran across these posts one used Fatmax but the other didnt say what they used..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/2721-sound-heat-insulation.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/48356-quiet-deuce-running-60-mph.html

srodocker

im going to most likley going with some housing insulation foil of some sort then horse mat. in those posts though some guys used the padding for carpet which may be another option.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to reconsider using Rubatex.

We use Rubatex to insulate the A/C and Freezer/Walkin condenser lines. The insulation that is outside lasts about 3 years. If the insulation is used in the Engineroom areas(ambient temps of 145), it lasts about 2 years. At the end of 2 years, the Rubatex crumbles and has to be replaced. We have used the Rubatex tubing and the Rubatex mats, both are of the same material.

Mileage may vary...2cents

deuceaid

Banned
Might want to reconsider using Rubatex.

We use Rubatex to insulate the A/C and Freezer/Walkin condenser lines. The insulation that is outside lasts about 3 years. If the insulation is used in the Engineroom areas(ambient temps of 145), it lasts about 2 years. At the end of 2 years, the Rubatex crumbles and has to be replaced. We have used the Rubatex tubing and the Rubatex mats, both are of the same material.

Mileage may vary...2cents

Thanks

Kohburn

I've started using a water based rubbery undercoating available from jcwhitney. its about the same cost as latex paint per gallon and it is going overtop of an encapsulatign paint like por15 so i'm not as worried abou it preventing rust, just damping sound and vibration.

gaspain

I used Fatmax mega mat. I did the whole underhood with the foil backed foam stuff. Then the whole interior firewall, floorboards, doors with Fatmax butyl rubber.

It killed every vibration and now I can have a conversation inside and dont need earplugs.

I bought 2 hood kits, and 2 rubber kits from Fatmax for about $450

Now, I plan to add a muffler and spray U-Pol Raptor everwhere I can.

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used Fatmax. I did the whole underhood with the foil backed foam stuff. Then the whole interior firewall, floorboards, doors with Fatmax butyl rubber.

I bought 2 hood kits, and 2 rubber kits from Fatmax for about $450
Is there a reason not to use the reg fatmat under the hood?

gaspain

I used mega mat everywhere, its foil backed butyl rubber. It might come loose in hot conditions, also their hood foam stuff blocks more sound and looks great.

Is there a reason not to use the reg fatmat under the hood?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks