• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Lex_Ordo

While driving last night around town, I started to smell anti-freeze.
Hmm?
Then I started to see it in the cab.
Hmm? Wow?
I stopped opened the small Left side hood, and saw that I was leaking coolant from the hose that connects up to the oil cooler.
Hmm? Did I blow a hole in a new hose? Maybe?

Drove home and shut her down before she got to 200 degrees, and washed the coolant off everything for better inspection.

I think from what I'm observing the oil cooler pipe that the water pump hose and the oli cooler hose connect to, shifted forward, pulling the oil cooler hose just far enough off the oil cooler that it found a way to relieve pressure, and started to leak coolant.
Under high pressure, it sprayed all over the inside of the engine compartment and dripped into the cab through the steering column hole.

I have to wait a few days to work on the truck, so I'll know more on Monday.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Along with the brakes, it is a good idea to inspect replace all the hoses on a truck you don't know the history of. Sounds like the hose got old and "let go".

Lex_Ordo

New radiator, new hoses, new cap, flushed and re-filled with fresh coolant, new thermostat, everything that was needed to replace was done. I also did all the rubber brake lines, and E-brake cable & shoes.

I guess every truck is a bit different. No worries. I'm sure it will fix right up when I get to it next week.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When I did the hoses on the 109, I didn't get the band/clamp behind the metal lip and it would leak/spray coolant. Maybe just checking/adjusting will take care of the problem.

Lex_Ordo

Yep, everything is better now!
I went through while I had a minute to myself, and tightened up all the hose clamps, and the problem was that the hoses have shrunk a bit and the clamps weren't as tight as they were when I first changed them.

Re-positioned the tube for the oil cooler, and re-tightened the hose.
I just ran the truck to get it to temperature, and it ran smooth and dry at 175.

looks like it was an easy fix this time.
Whew!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
7 psi?

Pretty sure thats what I saw on the inside of the radiator cap, not high pressure, but enough to spray out I suppose?
Block/WP pressure will be close to 20-25 PSI at rated RPM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks