• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has title but not other paperwork - issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dace

I have been talking to a guy to buy his HMMWV M1113. He says he bought it in the early 90s and no longer has the sale paperwork like SF97. However he does have a title from our state but it has not be registered in about 4 years. He stuck it in a garage and left it so didn't register it each year.

Do you see any issues with not having any paperwork other then a title in his name?

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What else are you looking for?

You live near him? I'd take him, the title, and my wallet to the DMV and transfer / register right there. If there's a problem you'll know.

TucsonVTXF

What else are you looking for?

You live near him? I'd take him, the title, and my wallet to the DMV and transfer / register right there. If there's a problem you'll know.
yes do the above. if he did not notify adot that he was taking the truck off the road you will pay a penalty for the years not registered

glassk

Is it an original or duplicate Title,

Some US States offer title search databases. Be aware that this search may have limitations if the car has a history outside of the jurisdiction in which you're searching

goldneagle

Bull****. He owes a penalty not the new buyer.
You are correct. I had to pay a penalty for a trailer I owned that I never titles after purchase. It never went on the road. When I sold it I had to pay all the penalty and fees to get it up to date. Then the buyer was able to transfer the title and registration to his name. We did it all at once at the local DMV agent.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, sounds like some tough title laws. In TN, there's no such thing as paying penalties for not registering every year. I've skipped two or three years before and all you have to do is sign a paper saying you haven't driven it in that period of time. As for selling a vehicle, if you've got a title, that's all that's required.

greenjeepster

I am pretty sure that Arizona is one of the states that no longer register HMMWVs; which might explain why he hasn't registered it.

Also check up on insurance before making a purchase, it can be really difficult to obtain even on a Civilian H1 and worse of a HMMWV.

tobyS

In Indiana, there is a penalty of two years "excise" fees if you are registering it for on-road use. Issuing a title may not mean that you can register it for on-road use however.

Prices will fall a lot when people realize they cannot use them (plate them) except off road.

greenjeepster

Prices will fall a lot when people realize they cannot use them (plate them) except off road.
Not if history is a good indicator. All the stuff that can't be registered appreciates the most. DUKWs, Halftracks, Tracked vehicles. Most likely because they get the least use and stay in the best shape. The old Gasser 2.5 tons and such that were registered got beaten to pieces and scrapped. Now there are relatively few of them around and they still are not worth anything.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not if history is a good indicator. All the stuff that can't be registered appreciates the most. DUKWs, Halftracks, Tracked vehicles. Most likely because they get the least use and stay in the best shape. The old Gasser 2.5 tons and such that were registered got beaten to pieces and scrapped. Now there are relatively few of them around and they still are not worth anything.
DUKW's and Halftracks can be registered and 99% of the time are....

greenjeepster

DUKW's and Halftracks can be registered and 99% of the time are....
It varies by state. I have been in the market for a DUKW for a long time and very few of the surplus ones have good titles and very few are registered. The tour company versions are titled, but those are all reproductions built for the tour industry.

Blackmagic94

I thought AZ stopped titling new hmmwvs in 2011 but I'm curious if they stop re registration of previously done ones as well and this is why it doesn't have a current plate now.

Good luck, I bought an ex police cruiser(caprice). Previous owner bought several at police auction and never drove them. When I went to get a title in AZ they said penalties had to be paid first. I explained the situation, Guy moved out of state, which was true, and they forgave the backed registration and penalties.

maybe I just had a very nice DMV lady?

Status
Not open for further replies.