• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hattiesburg 5 Tons

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I kno it is not a favorite thing for folks to see what is for sale on GL on the site but there are so many M 817s up in the near future has anyone had eyes on these and are they rougher than they look or severly water damaged? Just thinking if they go cheap they may be a great deal or a headache without the right info.

littlebob

I was thinking about looking at them on my way back from picking up my shelter from wreckermans, but I decided against it when the Suburban started acting funny. From the pictures they look rough.
littlebob

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They look really rough....

amanco

I have just got to ask. I have seen so many posts like this one mentioning "or severly water damaged?.
I am going to assume Katrina is the culprit, but my real question is how did this happen? I would hope that the CO's of military units have a bit more fore sight then Ray Nagan and there wasn't a yard of M 817s up to the canvas bows in flood water like the school busses. What are the details on all of these "flood damaged MV's"? Where did they come from?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
At the risk of beating this dead horse again I will explain about those 5-tons.
There is a shop at Camp Shelby (Hattiesberg) that rebuilds 5-tons. They have stopped rebuilding the 800 series and have moved on to the 900 series.
The vehicles that are coming up for sale are the 800's that had been sitting there awaiting their turn under the wrench. They are now considered obsolete.
Most of them have been sitting a long time and have weather damage. Some have been cannibilized, some were FUBAR when they were brought in.
I use to spend a lot of time down there since my unit had a brigade there.
I have snooped around all of the storage lots and what you see is the tip of the iceberg.
Wait until they sell off the wreckers. There is a whole yard full of them and dumps.
The last time I was there I talked to the DRMO guy and he said they may sell them as scrap to avoid the title issue. Lets' hope not.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was thinking the same thing Rocco and we might have to bring them back together on one truck if they go really cheap. I guess we will see what happens on them.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Camp Shelby has a railhead. Maybe if the guy with the boxcar gets a flatcar you could ship them by rail. You could get three or four on a long flat car. Sell the extras for enough to pay for shipping and to recoup your investment.
If I remember correctly the yard where the trucks are is very near the loading area.
I know Shelby very well and may can assist with loading.

Rocco

Hey armyman,
I have never got anything that size shipped.
Do they charge by the mile?
And if they do how much a mile?
Would it be the same price shipping two trucks?
does Weight have anything to do with price?
Sorry about all the questions.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Commerical trucks charge by the mile and how big a PITA is is to load and haul.
You can save money if you can find an independent trucker (with the right type of equipment) looking for a back haul.
Figure 2-3 bucks per mile depending on who you get to haul it.
There are web sites where you can post a load and have companies or independents bid on moving it for you.
There is a Steel Soldier member that hauls and there is an ad in MV magazine for a trucker that specializes in militay cargo.
There are always trucks delivering vehicles to Shelby. One of them would be an ideal mover since they would already be there.
You might could call Shelby Directorate of Logistics and see if they have a list of contractors that deliver there.
Just a few ideas.

amanco

I remember going to Shelby for field exercises when I was in NMCB 74. If I remember right (this was about 15 years ago) there was another place south of there on I-49 with a whole yard of what looked like Russian military trucks. Any one remember or know about this?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Those trucks are still there on HWY 49. I was down there a few months ago. I could never catch anyone at that location to provide info about price etc.
Most of them have bad rust issues from what I could see through the fence.

Rocco

Wreckerman.
So whats the chance that they might still work?
Is it just every 10 years they have to be rebuilt no matter what shape they are in?
Beacause I dont want to buy something that is totaly dead, half dead is OK.

EZFEED

I'd say these are pretty much dead and will need a tow back home. Good project vehicles I'd think. I spoke to one of the guys over there and will confirm what Wreckerman said about them scrapping the vehicles. The dude was saying that allot of the engines are locked up and some even have holes in their pans or blocks from thrown rods so they may need a complete drivetrain.

I'm going to try my hand at one. I need a wrecker pretty desperatley for all of the crap I haul and I don't mind a project so I guess I'll throw some change at them. :roll:

[Bidder information deleted by steelsoldiers. It is considered collusion to share bidder numbers and talk about what trucks members are bidding on in order to keep prices down. Collusion is not allowed on SS.com]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Rocco,

My best guess is that it is luck of the draw as to what you get unless you actually go and visually inspect them.
While I was allowed to roam freely in the storage yards they would not allow me to give them a good going over since, at that time, they were still scheduled for rebuild.
My unit no longer has operational control over Shelby so I have not been there for several months.
The decision to sell them off was made just before I quit going down there.
There is one yard down there that has at least 50 wreckers and a bunch of dump trucks in it.
The DRMO guy told me that there was a big debate as to whether to sell them whole and have to provide paperwork or scrap them and send them out in pieces.
The last time I was there they were cutting up several bridge trucks and sending them out in dump trucks.
I hope they realize they can make a lot more money selling them whole.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am going to bid on a wrecker, one just for parts, so if anyone needs some parts ill take what i need and sell the rest, i only live about 2 1/2 hours from there but i dont have time to go and inspect them Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks