• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hatz diesel

dalton92

I've got two hatz single cylinder Diesel engines, both brand new and both have melted the air filters, under operation of the operators I might add, I have not seen this before and looking for some advice.

Dalton

steelypip

If it's like everything else I've ever seen, it's a sign that somebody ran the engine backward. Some diesels will do that. Biggest concern is that they didn't shut it down before the bearings starved for oil because the pump (if any) was running backward.

dalton92

How would it run backwards? I have never heard of this, but seems possible, I doubt it has a oil pump as it's single cylinder air cooled, probably like a flicker on the bottom of the rod but not 100%

goldneagle

I had one of those engines in my MC-2A air compressor. There was a large 12" fan that blew cool air to keep the components inside the unit cool. It also had an oil cooler.

RIrvin

If this is a 1B30 family Hatz type engine, the damage may be from operators attempting to start engine with aid of gasoline vapors or other aid inserted in the dry type air cleaner space.

dalton92

If this is a 1B30 family Hatz type engine, the damage may be from operators attempting to start engine with aid of gasoline vapors or other aid inserted in the dry type air cleaner space.
Thanks this seems plausible, there is also a heating element inside the intake, any chance if left on could this damage the rubber on the filter?

RIrvin

The Hatz I have seen were key started and only applied any preheat to "glow plug" in air inlet for very short period. Do these units have a battery (12v or 24V)power source? Are they slave started? I'd suspect some human error as whisky357 mentions. I have some manuals / documents on 1B30 if helpful.

dalton92

Yes it's slave started with 24v, with pull start aswell, but now I'm doubting the preheat theory because they were only pull starting them

steelypip

What were the engines attached to? Is there some possibility that they could have been bogged to stalling? That's usually how you get the 'running backward' problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks