• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauled home the 5-ton trailer

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got around to going up to MD to drag home the 5-ton trailer I bought off n3uka. It was previously a laundry trailer, all the gensets and laundry stuff has been stripped off of it. It is designated an XM-1061E1, made in 1994. Guess is was one of the earlier ones, it still has X and E in the nomenclature.

Trip was almost 200 miles round trip, from Front Royal, VA to College Park, MD, through mid-day DC traffic. UGH! But, truck ran like a champ the whole way, the trailer towed well the whole way back, barely knew it was even there. The vinyl cover is currently off the trailer, but when it is covered, looks kinda like a DRASH trailer that the Brits use. The neat thing about this trailer is on all four corners are a fold-down leg with jacks the whole trailer level. Very cool.

My camera died yesterday, the pics below are kinda fuzzy, they were taken by n3uka's cellphone. But, fuzzy pics are better than no pics.

Attachments

jwaller

we have one here in columbia with a twin 40m bofers gun mounted on it. it can take a lotta weight and still pulls very good.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike...your truck's name is Jayne and yet you refer to it as a "he"...as in "he will get it mounted..." Just busting your b's a bit! :lol: Seriously, though, cool looking rig.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jayne is a character from a sci-fi TV show I really enjoy...and trust me, Jayne is very much the manly name....think: "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash. Sorta like that.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. To be honest, not sure what I am going to use it for. It's over at dm22630's place right now because I don't have space for it, bought it because n3uka hit hard times and needed the cash, didn't need the trailer. I anticipated using it to haul the jeep back and forth to shows, but now it looks like the jeep will be finding a new home shortly, so the purpose is kinda lost now. It's one of those things, I really don't need it, but I'll be kicking myself later if I sell it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the TM 9-2330-376-14&P, the deck is just about 8x12 feet in size, ground to deck is about 3 feet. Empty weight is 5500 lbs. The TM says the official towing vehicle is the M809 series of 5-tons, and the M113 APC. The deuce would do okay towing this trailer with a light load,no more than 2 tons I would say. Full loaded weight would be 15,500 lbs, well into the range of a 5-ton for safety.

5tonpuller

trailer

maddawg308 said:
According to the TM 9-2330-376-14&P, the deck is just about 8x12 feet in size, ground to deck is about 3 feet. Empty weight is 5500 lbs. The TM says the official towing vehicle is the M809 series of 5-tons, and the M113 APC. The deuce would do okay towing this trailer with a light load,no more than 2 tons I would say. Full loaded weight would be 15,500 lbs, well into the range of a 5-ton for safety.
I use mine like crazy behind the wrecker. I love this thing. Just wish I had the extra tong for it. Seems they are in a short supply so I might have to see about building one. Had a 450 JD dozer on it a few times. A 5 ton is a must and make sure the air valves are open. The wreckers where not known for there braking power.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks