• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling a deuce

Chevytruck

the trailer is good but i don't think the truck is. we have had many conversations on this. the deuce is around 13k pounds and that is a lot of weight to stop with a F250.

just my opinion though

don't listen to Frightrain because he might mislead you :razz:
(kidding lol)

Last edited:

joeypushjr1

well ask your self this the trailor you have will it cause the deuce to sit high and make your payload top heavy is it goose neck trailor .. pintle ...etc whats you gvw of your truck and gvw of trailor and the combined gvw ...... then go to this site and see the deuce curb weight and specks and go from there .... hope this helps....if you think the truck has the balls go for it if the weights good...you want to be able to tell the cops if they pull you over your truck is rated for that load......http://adelmans.home.net2go.com:800...matiom%20w-o%20winch0001.jpg?fileNum=1&page=1

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 pulled one with a towbar 170 miles with a Dodge 3500 it stoped it better than m35A2 both from same places it would have been better with a trailer with brakes.

JohnnyReb

I have hauled deuces on a flatbed 10 ton trailer behind an F350. Need very good brakes on the trailer and have the trailer brakes set to grab first.

Has to be a gooseneck trailer.

On the truck: F250 is really going to get punished with the weight. Also comes down to engine (gas V8 is a no no; V10 is iffy; diesel is best) and your axle ratio.

Main thing I would consider is my tires...... Need true multi-ply truck tires on the truck and trailer. If you start shedding rubber from either the truck or trailer, it is going to be a very bad day for you and whomever shares the road with you.

Last edited:

stampy

I wouldn't, even with trailer brakes a panic stop is going to ram you in to the person ahead of you. Why not drive the deuce home like the rest of us or is it inop? Basically as said above you could... but only if you had an extremly well preped truck, trailer with brakes and a death wish, see the other post about trailering a m1028 and what the guy did to it...Scary... of course I still think he didn't weight the tounge properly.

Last edited:

larrystg2

It seems most all think it is dangerous. I regularly haul my antique pulling tractors which are 12K and have no problems hauling or stopping. My equipment is in good shape with good trailer brakes. I may purchase a deuce in GA and would like to haul it to TN but all the shipping quotes are to high.

wsucougarx

So here it is. The theme is yes it can be done, can it be done safely is the question. How are the brakes on your trailer and pulling rig? Only you can answer that.

"When in doubt, throw the idea out"

A little moto that I throw to myself when trying to figure things out

SR71BLACKBIRD

I think a powerstroke ford will do it but it will not even look safe to the police. I have seen full size bucket trucks on goose necks behind f250's and cummins trucks. At 65MPH too. But It looked ugly to me.

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like you have experience hauling these types of loads. While I would not personally recommend it with an F250, it would depend on distance and route. 20-50 miles of backroads, I'd probably do it. Major highways, no way. You can't ignore the stupidity of other drivers, which is why I woulld prefer to have a crew-cab dually at the minimum (better yet a 4500 or 5500 series truck), but I am also always of the opinion that if you are scared to do something, you are WAY less dangerous than the person wh is not scared to do it. It tends to make you WAY more cautious than the ding-dong that doesn't have a clue. But that's still not justification to do it.

Do you know anyone with a deuce or 5-ton that can towbar it?

rivired

in the past ive experienced that the a big factor is if u got a dually or not..with all that wieght two rear tires gets pretty squirrely at highway speeds.personnaly i would never tow that much with a 3/4 single rear truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've hauled a small crane (16,000#) on a dual tandem gooseneck with my Dodge 2500 Cummins. Load placement is the key.

I would never recomend hauling these type loads on a public forum though because you've got to know what you're doing when you get above 10,000# behind a single wheeled truck.

randyscycle

I wouldn't say you couldn't, I'd say you shouldn't.........

The guy who delivered my Deuce brought it on a 14,000lb trailer and with a Dodge 2500 pickup. When it arrived, I could smell brakes pretty strongly on both the truck and trailer (we live in a relatively flat area, for the record) and the truck definitely was overloaded, no question about it. He also had the look of a fellow who had been just a bit on edge for the last couple of hours, and was happy to unload. Also, a Deuce is a rather tall vehicle, and on top of that high-deck trailer, it was up in the sky. It looked like a good banked turn on the highway might have set it off-center fairly easily.

In short, he got it to me in one piece and without any problems that I know of, but I certainly wouldn't have done it after seeing it on that truck/trailer combo.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had 14,000 behind my 3/4 ton. But it was a short trip, with heavy ply tires on the truck, good tires and brakes on the gooseneck. I felt safe,and stopping was decent. Long distance, I would had needed more power, the truck has a 350 gas in it. Step on the pedal and nothing happens!