• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling a m274 in Tacoma pickup bed

rtadams89

I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a m274 in the bed of a Tacoma (short bed) pickup truck. Based on the dimensional data I can find, it sounds like I could fit it with the rear wheels resting ontop of the Tacoma bed's wheel wells near the cab and the front wheels resting either in the bed or slightly onto the tailgate if left down. Has anyone done this or otherwise concur/object to my conclusion?

rtadams89

I don't think the weight will be an issue as the Tacoma can support up to 1175lbs in the bed stock.

I measured my bed and I have about 52.5 inches between the bed sides, but towards the front of the bed are the wheel wells which reduce the bed width to like 42 inches for the lower half of the bed. That's why I say I'd have to put the wheels on top of the wheel wells where there is still 52.5" of width available. Worst case I figure I can flip the mule on its side/at an angle.

What I'm not clear on is the length. I know the 118 is total length, but all I really care about is the length from the rear most part to the front wheels where they would contact the ground. If that fits, I can have the front of the frame and drivers foot basket hang over the back.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
118" is the total length of the deck according to TM 43-0001-31. It looks like your bed is roughly half the length of the mule itself. If you are able to get the front tires on the tailgate, can it handle the weight going down the road?

Attachments

GopherHill

I would buy or rent a trailer for the mule. No sense risking damage to the truck or mule. If you have a place to store one, a trailer that can carry the mule isn't terribly expensive.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From my recollection, it will fit in an 8' bed with the foot basket over hanging. They will also fit in the bed of an M105 trailer which is 9' but the basket sticks out just a little. The cover will cover it. I know these aren't accurate measurements, just experiences I've had with them.

Edit: wheelbase is 57"
M274MuleMatSheetAPG1954haugh (1).jpg (1180×1600) (warwheels.net)

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I hauled mine in my 8’ bed(Silverado), I would back it in and park with the front wheels on 4” blocks. That would allow my tailgate to close with the foot basket above the tailgate.

AMGeneral

When I hauled mine in my 8’ bed(Silverado), I would back it in and park with the front wheels on 4” blocks. That would allow my tailgate to close with the foot basket above the tailgate.
I pretty much had to do the exact same when hauling my A5 in my 3500 Dodge dually, and I am fairly sure it is 8 ft 6 inches inside the bed.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rent a Ryder truck and bring ATV ramps. It will work perfectly and your prize is secure if you need to stop, stay over night, or the weather does not cooperate.

Abbylind

My mule fits in the bed of my 86 M1008. If you can find someone with a 8' full size bed truck they could help you out depending on how far you plan on travelling YMMMV

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee guys, my mule came home in the bed of a 1964 C10 SWB StepSide. She rode just fine sitting on the tailgate with the engine cage against the headboard.
It was 35 years ago but.............

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks