• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling a m35a2

apsychotic

Hello all! I have a question for you..Has anyone used say a 1 ton Dodge ram 3500 cummins dually and a good goose neck trailer to transport their deuce? I am looking to buy a truck that i can haul a deuce on without being botherd by DOT. Will a 3500 series pull that with good trailer brakes? Thanks in advance! C. :wink:

wsucougarx

Yes the cummins will definately pull that. Stopping may be another question. Why would DOT bother you? Do they require a CDL in PA? Here in WA the only thing we have to get is a 3 day trip permit to take her on the road. That's it. They classify the deuce as a Medium Duty truck. I would just drive your deuce home.

Hammer

As long as the trailer is rated for at least 20k lbs, you should be alright.
When I got my last three trucks, one was on a trailer, and the other two drove home.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW.

Stalled

We just brought one thru the mountains of Pa. with close to the same setup.05 Cummins 1 ton with a 20K tri axle gooseneck.Worked very well,11 mpg I believe on that trip(will ask parents) those 5.9s are amazing motor.Note this truck is the automatic trans,but I dont know which trans it is or if there are more than 1 avilable.

SouthTexasDiesel

I just hauled my Deuce 750 miles with my 2008 F-350. Didn't have any issues with the truck or trailer. The trailer needs to have brakes on every axle and a GVWR of at least 20k. Needs to be a good wide trailer too, filled mine up from side to side.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haul mine with a single rear wheel 3/4 ton and a gooseneck and it works just fine. I have brakes on all 3 axles on the trailer that is rated at 21,000.

Attachments

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't have a CDL, you can get in some trouble for not having it in PA pulling a trailer with a GVW over 10k lbs since you are a PA resident. Commercial/Non-commercial does not matter. There have been cases recently where an F350 pulling an equipment trailer with a GVW over 10k lbs got into trouble for not having a CDL. Was for private use. Owner was then denied the ability to take CDL test (class A) with same setup. Eventually, after attorneys entered the picture, the gentlemen was permitted to take his test in that same rig. There are several, that I know of, cases just like this.

I'm intending to call PennDOT tomorrow about this issue. There is too much confusion right now regarding CDL's in PA and no one has an answer that seems to be 100% accurate. Even PennDOT personnel. Go figure.

Just an FYI

SouthTexasDiesel

There is a 10k limit in TX also for non-CDL drivers. Trailers registered at farm trailers are allowed to tow 20k if it's for farm equipment. If I would have been stopped I would have said the deuce is my new "off-road recovery vehicle" for my ranch, they couldn't have done anything about it.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ecostruction said:
If you don't have a CDL, you can get in some trouble for not having it in PA pulling a trailer with a GVW over 10k lbs since you are a PA resident. Commercial/Non-commercial does not matter. There have been cases recently where an F350 pulling an equipment trailer with a GVW over 10k lbs got into trouble for not having a CDL. Was for private use. Owner was then denied the ability to take CDL test (class A) with same setup. Eventually, after attorneys entered the picture, the gentlemen was permitted to take his test in that same rig. There are several, that I know of, cases just like this.

I'm intending to call PennDOT tomorrow about this issue. There is too much confusion right now regarding CDL's in PA and no one has an answer that seems to be 100% accurate. Even PennDOT personnel. Go figure.

Just an FYI
Just talked to PennDOT. Seems as though we have non-commercial Class A licenses in PA. Who knew. There is actually something on PennDOT's website about it. Here's the skinny. The website says that for anyone intending to tow a vehicle (trailer) over 10000 lbs, needs a class A. But, the lady at PennDOT indicated that if the tow vehicle is a class C vehicle, then you can tow as much as you want. So I pointed out the website and she went to it and it clearly gives an example of a class c pulling a trailer that is over 10k lbs and the drive needs a Class A. She didn't quite understand my confusion. She also said to upgrade from a class c to a class a, I would need to take a knowledge test again, and a road test. However, website doesn't say that. There is also no information on non-commerical class A and B licenses on their website that I have found.

Can any of you PA folks shine any light on this? I've never met anyone with a non-commercial class A.

FreightTrain

Banned
sounds like standard Federal Guide lines.By Fed standard(Cannot be less but can be more restrictive by states) you are required to have a CDL to drive a Vehicle Commercially(For Monitary Compensation!) with a GVW of over 26,000lbs straight/Combo_Or if the towed vehicle is over 10,000lbs GVW,hauling over 16 Passengers,Haz Mat,Any size vehicle with Air Brakes.So,you can get busted for no CDL if you hook an Empty Goose neck up with a GVW of 20,000lbs(6,000Lbs? Dry weight) to a Yugo(I would PAY to see this!!!!!) and drive on down the road.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hammer said:
What was your overall height for your setup there?
Very close to 13'6" :D

I went through the same hassle here in MN with a class A. I got busted for driving the same setup as pictured above. I told the cop that it was for personal use but it didn't matter, because I was over 26,000 CGVW (9200 + 21,000)I needed a class A as well as DOT yearly inspection. I was able to take my test with my truck and trailer but I just didn't get the air brake endorsement.

jimmcld

I was stopped in Texas pulling a deuce with a one ton Ford. It was license and weight. He looked at our rig before he came up to talk to us. When he finally came up to the tow rig he just said that he was checking log books, and sence we had farm tags, there was no problem. Have a nice day!

1stDeuce

Holy side-tracked thread... I picked up my deuce with a stock dually dodge with a six speed cummins on a 20k rated gooseneck. It was no problemo.

No sure about the ramifications of towing more than a vehicle is "rated" to tow, but a deuce on trailer will exceed most if not all "one ton" GCW ratings... That said, I work with some of the guys who determine those numbers, and they wear their underwear too tight in most cases...
C

Attachments

crazyplowboy

Mine is coming home on saturday on a lowboy behind my Peterbilt. I thought about pulling it with my Cummins but realized it would be easier to just use a truck made for these loads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks