• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling an M109A3...will this work?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to go pickup an M109A3 with my gooseneck and wanted to see what you guys think. Will it fit under the 13'6" height limit? I've done some searching and found some good info but not enough. On paper the truck is 10'10" tall, my gooseneck is right at 36" deck height (empty), that puts me 4" over (if my math skills haven't failed me). Is it possible to get it down 4 more inches?? I know my trailer will squat with the truck on it, and I could let air out of all the tires on the truck and I thought about chaining the suspension down as tight as I can without breaking chains, do you think that will get me below the height limit???

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Letting the air out will do more than chaining the suspention down. It will be close. How far are you going? Do you know you will be going under a bridge?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some States, but not all, are actually 14' - they have changed in recent years. You might want to check that!

Lee in Alaska

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some States, but not all, are actually 14' - they have changed in recent years. You might want to check that!

Lee in Alaska

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's about a 100 mile drive, mostly major freeways so I know those bridges are usually well over the height limit but I'm not sure about the small town it is in. I know I can get a permit to be over but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch the bridges and wires, and don't forget your trailer deck height will be lower with the truck loaded on it. I have seen a few over 13'6" loads make their destination ok.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always remove the wheels. That is a lot of work, but you'd guarantee that you won't have a problem. If you take out an overpass, you'll be in for a lot more expense than just losing the deuce. My $.02...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On second thought, if the trip is only 100 miles, ante up and pay to have it shipped. Even with fuel prices, how much could it cost? $300 ($3/mile)? $400 ($4/mile)? I'd rather spend $400 than take the time and effort to remove the wheels. Having it shipped will eliminate the risks and hassles. Admittedly, it is not as "cool" as retrieving it yourself using your own equipment, but it will be a lot less work and you take away the possibility of a "what if."

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to keep the cost down so a little manual labor wouldn't bother me. I just don't feel comfortable removing tires on the trailer. I have seen those little Isuzu van trucks around town that have a 6 lug pattern and I've heard they are the same as the Rockwells, if I could find 6 of those I wouldn't mind changing tires on the ground and driving it on the trailer. Even though it would really take the "cool factor" out of the deuce :D

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BKubu said:
I might not have been clear in my post...I was suggesting taking the wheels off of the M109.
No, I understood, maybe I wasn't clear, sorry...I meant I would have to remove the tires from the M109 while it was on the trailer, or else put a smaller tire on it. I do have these tires Randy at OEM made from some P185's but I don't think they would handle the weight of a MV

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya I figure I'll do just that, keep an eye open on the way there for anything too low. My main concern is getting pulled over by a cop or DOT. If I get ticketed for being 2 inches over I would be pissed! I'm sure I'll be fine going under bridges.

As far as letting air out of tires I would assume I could let a lot out and they would still hold the bead, right?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go for removing the tires, but also putting heavy wood blocks (6 x 6) beneath the axles and chaining the axles and the frame to the trailer.

jimm1009

Just as a point of safety, if you air down the tires, remember that they are split rims and can kill someone very easily by lett the outside ring go during reinflation. I have not read up on and am not a tire-related mechanic, but I would assume that you do not want to air up any tires with split rims without having them in a cage or similar enclosure. In my uneducated opinion, this would mean while installed on the vehicle as well.
Not attempting to tell ANYONE what to do, just pointing out the safety issue.
Be safe, live long, and drive the H$ll out of that truck when you have it ready as they are a blast to own and operate!
And secondly, think O.D. Green!!

Jim

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Hauling an M109A3...will this work?

M1075 said:
Put those little P185s on it and send me a pic!
I think it would blow them out right away...but just think of the torque you'd have! Backing up with them on my mud truck takes forever, but doing a 4 wheel burnout with 650 ft lbs of torque is pretty easy :D

LibertyDeuce

M109A3 Height Clearance

My M109A3 has a vent pipe for the personal heater inside adding about another 12" to the overall height. I hope you don't have to factor in the vent pipe height, Just my 2cents. And good luck bringing your new toy home!!

RE: M109A3 Height Clearance

I think most states are mow at 14 feet 6 inches for height but not sure ? I have checked the height if wires by using a fiber glass pole or a pvc pipe with a bicycle safety flag and checked the wires before hualing the load .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks