• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hauling with a m818

powersmoke18

hey just curious when u guys haul loads with your 5 tons do you run out of power first or weight capacity?? I'm thinking about buying one and wanted some opions on them.

thanks, bart

AMGeneral

Hello Bart,welcome to the site!!

In my expierence with the 800 series trucks(816 in particular) hauling somewhat heavy loads.The 250 is gonna run out of power before it wouldn't be able to move the load,MOST MVs are designed like this as not to have enough power to twist out a driveline component under load(when properly operated). Having moved 2 M123 tractors with my 816 over somewhat long distances,I have observed these few things ....

There needs to be 1 gear ratio between 3rd and 4th to keep the engine in it's torque range.

It will pull just about anything,as long as you aren't in any hurry to get there.

Don't expect to get better than 5 mpg loaded,6 empty.

The NHC 250 is a VERY noisy engine when it's pulling hard!!

All in all,it depends entierly what trailer you intend to pull with a 818,and what you intend to do with the truck as a whole.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

powersmoke18

awsome thanks for the welcome!! thats i wanted to hear!!! i'm planning on using it for local hauls of a cat d9. stripped to legal width the cat weighs around 70,000lbs speed is no concern. especially with a d9 behind you. it would be the perfet truck for getting around our local farms. i would rather use a m818 then my b61 mack tractor. talk about underpowered!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
isnt a D9, even a older 9g 0r 9h close to 10' wide even without the blade and the ripper

powersmoke18

depends on the track configuration but there close to 10ft wide. i think with the wider tracks its over 10ft wide. with the blade on, its 15ft wide. but that also adds 17,000lbs or so. but in my town 10ft is more legal than 15ft. cops around here don't care much. its nice!!!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
they may not care now but wait till something HAPPENS , 10 wide requires a over width permit, the D9 will call for a over weight permit also, the 818 may not have enough axles on the ground and be to short to get the proper bridge weight. the D9s that i have been involved with that we moved used a jeep trailer on the tractor (a long wheel base tractor to spreed the weight) then the low bed and at the rear of the trailer an extra dolly. this all comes to 10 or 11 axles, depending on the rear dolly. this is all for the dozer without the blade just to get down to legel bridge weight per axle and axle spacing

Last edited:

powersmoke18

ya i hear ya on that. we use to haul it on a 35ton lowboy behind a mack tractor. we just gotta stay away from bridges and highways. were only kinda nuts around here. we also hauled a d8 with a 20 ton trailer. just gotta be real careful!!! legality is put under necessity. if i have to i will sreatch the m818 throw a tag under it and put a 18sp and something around 450 or 500 h.p. in it. i just need the 6x6 capability plus the cost effectiveness, cant beat allwheel drive on these farms.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"if i have to i will sreatch the m818 throw a tag under it and put a 18sp and something around 450 or 500 h.p. in it. i just need the 6x6 capability plus the cost effectiveness, cant beat allwheel drive on these farms".

if you are going to all that trouble and expense to build a heavy haul tractor, why not find a older 6x6 concrete mixer, pull the barrel, fifth wheel and air line it, you would have better length, a 8 to 13 speed, a very stout frame, a good size motor, very heavy suspension and drive line, off the shelf parts, better road speed on the empty haul, a power divider. all the 6x6 mixers that ive seen have air shift xcases and front drive

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhpas an M123 would fit the bill. If you're not concerned about weight or speed, they will move just about anything, just not fast. They are over width but that doesn't seem to be a concern either.

jwaller

the 818 does not have the stated capacity to haul that much weight.

Can it do it, yes?

What happens when the lawyer for the dead calls this into question?
You lose everything you have ever owned and will ever think about owning!

powersmoke18

world full of pandsies out to get us!!! got it!! time to look for a real truck then. o well the drama continues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks