• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have a 6.5 from GL

cedargrove

Hello all,
I picked up a 6.5 from Bragg the other week through GL. Started tinkering with it this weekend. One cylinder has low compression (350-380) and the others are good at 450 to 490. I noticed some writing on the manifold that I believe is a clue to what the issue might be. Looks like someone wrote OJO on the manifold at the weak cylinder and I was wondering if anyone might have any idea what this might denote. I know it's a long shot but had to ask.

Thanks,

Lewis

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These engines are always a gamble. I paid pretty good money for a turbo 6.5 hoping for the best. One head and one piston assy later it seems to be working fine. I gave it to a friend who is using it in his highly modded M1009.

cedargrove

These engines are always a gamble. I paid pretty good money for a turbo 6.5 hoping for the best. One head and one piston assy later it seems to be working fine. I gave it to a friend who is using it in his highly modded M1009.
Don't get me wrong...I'm still happy with my purchase as I have the sought after Navistar cast block and heads. I only paid $468 after tax and the GL fee. I think I could sell the heads for that much. The engine seems to be new except for this one "minor" problem. I knew I was stepping out on a limb. I was hoping for the best but I was braced for the worst.

I own 3 GM diesels and have an odd love for these engines. I haven't spent any time inside one so I will be breaking new ground on this repair but look forward to learning.

Cheers,

Lewis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt the block suffered so yoy did fine. A crank and a set of rods and you would be close to back in business. As long as the piston didn't slap the head too bad you would be fine.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would bet my next paycheck that the cam bearings are wiped. A rod that bad would mean little or no oil pressure or flow to the cam. Check the rollers on the lifters also.

Rick

cedargrove

I would bet my next paycheck that the cam bearings are wiped. A rod that bad would mean little or no oil pressure or flow to the cam. Check the rollers on the lifters also.

Rick
10-4. I think you are right and I need to go deeper and do more assessment. I'll keep y'all updated as I progress.

Thanks,

Lewis

cedargrove

Rick
Cam bearings and rollers actually look fine. On these engines I believe the lifters get oil first, then the cam, then the crank, then the rods. Something went wrong before it got to rods 5 through 8. I dunno. The block, cam, rods and pistons are going to the machine shop in the morning for assessment. We'll know more next week.

cedargrove

Cam bearings and rollers actually look fine. On these engines I believe the lifters get oil first, then the cam, then the crank, then the rods. Something went wrong before it got to rods 5 through 8. I dunno. The block, cam, rods and pistons are going to the machine shop in the morning for assessment. We'll know more next week.
Picked it up from the machine shop on monday. Honed the cylinders and main line, installed new cam bearings and Scat crank. Cleaned up the pistons and reconditioned the connecting rods. It's back on the stand in my shop now and waiting for me start the re-assembly. :beer: