• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have an appointment with CA DMV next week

Bluebeard

I just purchased a 1990 M923A2 and I have read a bunch of posts about registering these trucks as Antiques. Well, this year my truck is 24 years old so it doesn't quite fit the bill. My neighbors and I went together to buy this truck to make it into a water tanker for both watering our road and to have a community fire truck. We've been a welding and plumbing up a storm and we are well along, but not quite finished (I'll post pics when we have it dialed in- as we are pretty proud of it). But my question has to do with registration. I called CARB and talked to them and we both agreed that our usage of the truck would keep us under the 5000 miles a year qualification for a "low use vehicle". So according to CARB, I don't owe them any money and starting next year, all I have to do is keep track of my odometer to ensure I don't exceed 5k a year.

One of my neighbors is a excavation contractor and he is telling me that I can register it either as a "low use" or "CE" (Construction Equipment which is $25/yr). Has anyone gone that route? I didn't see any conversations about that in any of the threads I reviewed, and I looked at a bunch of them. In reality, I don't see putting more than several hundred miles a year on this truck. Maybe to drive into town to get gas or to get it worked on or maybe to run in this year's July 4th parade. As a fire truck, it is best parked on our combined acreage to insure it is here if we need it- especially with this wicked fire season upcoming.

Also, as a side note, (and this probably isn't the correct forum to mention it, but maybe someone can post a link for me to the discussion), one of my tires continues to go flat, and I am told it is most likely the CTIS. Several people who are well acquainted with this vehicle have suggested I just take the CTIS off (Especially since the full tires would be the best suited option for carrying 1600 gallons of water). What exactly is entailed by "just taking off the CTIS?". I poked around the wheel and it doesn't look like it is something you "just take off" as the air lines appear to be integrated to the wheel. Where can I find the instructions for taking it off? Hopefully, step by step, as the size complexity of this truck has me amazed.

thehunt1

I had a water truck registered in CA. We registered it as SE or Special Equipment. This is for vehicles used primarily off road that travel over public roads incidentally to get from jobsite to jobsite. Supposed to only operate over the road empty. The form asks for a radius of travel. I think the Lic fee was around $40. Hope this helps.

Bluebeard

I had a water truck registered in CA. We registered it as SE or Special Equipment. This is for vehicles used primarily off road that travel over public roads incidentally to get from jobsite to jobsite. Supposed to only operate over the road empty. The form asks for a radius of travel. I think the Lic fee was around $40. Hope this helps.

That classification will probably work for us right now, until the truck is 25 yrs or older. Was there much hassle registering it? Did you have to drive it down to the dmv? Or was a picture good enough?

thehunt1

That classification will probably work for us right now, until the truck is 25 yrs or older. Was there much hassle registering it? Did you have to drive it down to the dmv? Or was a picture good enough?
A picture was required. I think it was an application process that has to be approved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks