• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have up-armored humvees ever been sold to the public?

Wile E. Coyote

Not aware of any uparmoured HMMWVs being sold as-configured, but lots of the bits and pieces certainly have (primarily doors and cupolas, but other stuff too.) Find out who has the scrap contract at your local base and make friends, because all kinds of stuff goes straight to scrap and some of these guys will sell to end-users by the pound. Saw stacks of HMMWV basic hardtop kits in the scrap recently -- rings and all -- but they'll be third world spitoons before I can figure out who has the contract. Seen tons of other stuff too. Brand-new medium towbar ends with pins...new slave cables and NATO adapters...brand new TEMPER tend mod center sections...all-terrain forklifts...perfectly good STRYKER Caterpillar engines...Cummins NHC-series engines...just mindblowing.

KB2MPX

I am the proud new owner of a 1987 M1045 w/SA. As you all know, SA is the acronym for Supplemental Armor. The history of the vehicle may explain how this armored vehicle came in to my hands. My M1045 w/SA was given to the Miami Police Department by GSA for use as a police vehicle. Miami PD put it to work as a SWAT unit. It went to municipal action in June of this year and now it is mine. It was demilitarized with the exception of the armor plating, inside and out, and the bullet resist glass. The armor is said to be capable of withstanding 7.62 rounds. It also has the deep water fording kit intact and operational.

dk8019

Interesting... My understanding with GSA is that it was not the PD's to sell, regardless of the condition. Perhaps you'll be getting a knock on the door soon.

Action

Since this post was started 7 years ago, I know of 1 armored HMMWV that was sold to a civilian. I think it has the Frag 5 package. I will give no details about it. It is a new design, not one from the '80s.