• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have you installed 3.07 gears in your truck? Kindly step in I have something to ask

spankybear

Do you think its worth the 5 grand to install the gears? I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money... What are the pros and cons. Would you spend the money again?

spankybear

ultimately I would like to put a camper on the back... but right now it's a toy... or something to tinker with. Weekend driver... chick magnet... Also says I am compensating for something...

Maybe I should ask will this add value to the truck? Could I get my money out of it if in worst case senairo ...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me it's not worth 5k
Depends on what you already have invested weather it can handle another 5k on the bottom line.

If your just independently wealthy go for it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok same question to me on the 915A2 4:56 gearing. Do I spend 6 k on the tandems or pay extra fuel cost. Now with my gearing pulling my 30 foot trailer I can still walk up good size hill at 55. The longest trip to a rally has been Fl. to the show in Denton park NC. at 500 miles one way. So here I could have spent 6k to go up faster or just pay 150.00 in extra fuel burned. I paid the fuel because I at this time do not plan to go much farther than the FL. shows at maybe 150 miles total. All I have to say about that is the slower you go the more you see and less chance of wetting your pants when the high speeds gets you in trouble no matter who's fault it is.

Last edited:

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like you, my truck is a hobby. Idea of building a camper on the back was the first things I thought of when I saw these trucks show up in the 90's. So when I finally decided to get one I knew i needed to budget for "highway" gears from the start. Totally worth it for the fact you can cruise down the highway without your ears bleeding and holding up traffic. Even on side roads its more relaxed.
Having said all that...if the truck was going to be used for work on the ranch, plowing or off road only I wouldn't worry about it.

Blair

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me holding up traffic is 0% when on the highway. On a two / three lane highway if you are not smart enough to look down the road and see you are gaining on a big camo tractor trailer you deserve to get stuck behind me. As for dragging 25 tons down the highway and the worry if someone else ( moron ) causes me hard brake skidding or jackknife 100%. I like 55 mph but the truck will do 62. As for some back roads I will let up on the fuel when the person can pass and I see the road is clear. I will wave with my hand to pass and if there is a wide hard shoulder I run just a bit on it while still moving so they can see it clear.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will changing the gears effect the trucks off road ability if that is a concern?
How much are you going to drive it every year? I would consider realistically, how many $ you are going to save every year, and how many years it will take to recoup your investment.
If you are going cross country all the time then go for it. If you are going only driving a few hundred miles a year, then it doesn't make sense.

spankybear

Will changing the gears effect the trucks off road ability if that is a concern?
How much are you going to drive it every year? I would consider realistically, how many $ you are going to save every year, and how many years it will take to recoup your investment.
If you are going cross country all the time then go for it. If you are going only driving a few hundred miles a year, then it doesn't make sense.
I do not believe this will hurt the off road capability of the truck. I am looking on having the truck more "driveable" It runs really well at 40 MPH... if I can get 15 MPH more with gears and same RPM I think this would be nice.

I have about 10,000 into the truck (govplanet, getting here, stuff I have done, repairs ect) Everything works and the only issue I have it the front seal leaks in the trans... I could have WAY more into the truck. If I put the gears into the truck I will have 15,000 -16,000 into the truck. I was just wondering if I could get that out of the truck if I need to sell it. It's a clean truck... I just don't know how much a sorted one would sale for.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not believe this will hurt the off road capability of the truck. I am looking on having the truck more "driveable" It runs really well at 40 MPH... if I can get 15 MPH more with gears and same RPM I think this would be nice.

I have about 10,000 into the truck (govplanet, getting here, stuff I have done, repairs ect) Everything works and the only issue I have it the front seal leaks in the trans... I could have WAY more into the truck. If I put the gears into the truck I will have 15,000 -16,000 into the truck. I was just wondering if I could get that out of the truck if I need to sell it. It's a clean truck... I just don't know how much a sorted one would sale for.
I didn't notice any real big change off road. Being automatic certainly helps. One would think a well sorted truck w/highway gears would be worth that and then some. Its a lot of truck for the money once you go through all the systems to make sure they operate. For myself, the air conditioning dilemma is whats on my mind for future up grades.

Blair

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally believe it's worth it as my situation is long flat straight highways with hundred of miles in between. I see it as $5K invested so I can keep with traffic (safety), I lessen wear on my truck (minor cost savings), I'm not pushing my engine too hard (potential major cost savings if I break something, and also my time is worth something.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1088 had them installed when I purchased it, so no "before" experience. It does feel "good" right now with the 3.07's in it. I have been up to 73 mph per phone GPS but only briefly, and still had some throttle travel left to give. I have no intention to run there but wanted to see how it would top out. I got to where I thought it was "enough" and backed it down.

I think for me (camper box planned), they would be worth it. I was very stoked to find a truck with them already installed. It runs extremely well at highway speeds and still feels sporty moving away from traffic lights and such. The most important thing is the reduced RPM at speed to reduce mechanical wear and tear. I don't intend to run anywhere at 70 mph, but the truck seems to feel right at home at 60. That's fast enough to go anywhere with a house on your chassis.

Chris

Third From Texas

I do not believe this will hurt the off road capability of the truck.
It won't according to the reviews I've seen over the years. In principle it should, but given the low gearing of these trucks combined with the fact that we still have a granny 1st gear I don't recall anyone saying that the 3.07s robbed any noticeable low-end power.

If I can get 15 MPH more with gears and same RPM I think this would be nice.
*EDIT: I misread 15 MPH as "MPG" LOL

You can't (not even remotely close). The vast majority report no notable increase in mileage. There are a few claims of "improved" mileage into the teens, but there has been zero ECU data to support it (along with proof that the speedo was properly recalibrated). If nine owners with 3.07 all say mileage did not change and *one* owner says it tripled, then in all likelihood you will see zero change.

I just don't know how much a sorted one would sale for.
While desirable to many, most of the truck purchases I see people comment on having been regeared were more of a bonus. I would say that it clearly adds some value, but I certainly would not count on recouping the extra $5K over the going price of a similar truck w/o them.

Overall, if you plan on traveling a lot with the truck then I would say consider them. And $5K isn't too an outrageous price when you factor in someone doing a professional installation (I've never had an issue with someone earning a living, but scalpers who don't do shit but line their pockets make my skin crawl). Just keep in mind that surplus pumpkin chunks were being sold by the truckload for $80 ea and the only reason they are rare (supply and demand) is that a couple people out there purchased them all up to *create* the supply and demand rarity. Of note is that when regearing the rear axels on a semi, the parts cost is about $1300 per axel.

ymmv

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

It won't according to the reviews I've seen over the years. In principle it should, but given the low gearing of these trucks combined with the fact that we still have a granny 1st gear I don't recall anyone saying that the 3.07s robbed any noticeable low-end power.

You can't (not even remotely close). The vast majority report no notable increase in mileage. There are a few claims of "improved" mileage into the teens, but there has been zero ECU data to support it (along with proof that the speedo was properly recalibrated). If nine owners with 3.07 all say mileage did not change and *one* owner says it tripled, then in all likelihood you will see zero change.

While desirable to many, most of the truck purchases I see people comment on having been regeared were more of a bonus. I would say that it clearly adds some value, but I certainly would not count on recouping the extra $5K over the going price of a similar truck w/o them.

Overall, if you plan on traveling a lot with the truck then I would say consider them. And $5K isn't too an outrageous price when you factor in someone doing a professional installation (I've never had an issue with someone earning a living, but scalpers who don't do shit but line their pockets make my skin crawl). Just keep in mind that surplus pumpkin chunks were being sold by the truckload for $80 ea and the only reason they are rare (supply and demand) is that a couple people out there purchased them all up to *create* the supply and demand rarity. Of note is that when regearing the rear axels on a semi, the parts cost is about $1300 per axel.

ymmv
Spot on.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
spankybear said:
If I can get 15 MPH more with gears and same RPM I think this would be nice.
You can't (not even remotely close). The vast majority report no notable increase in mileage.
Disregarding the mileage prognostications, getting 15 MPH more is exactly what happens when you re-gear. You may or may not see mileage improvement, but you will rev lower at a given speed, or (as stated by spankybear), go faster for a given RPM. That part is just math.

My speedo reads ~48 MPH when my GPS says 60. I have gone 73 MPH per the same app. That is exactly 15 MPH above the OEM rated top speed of 58 MPH. As I stated above, I don't intend to run that fast other than testing if I can (check in that box), but now I will enjoy the benefits of lower motor speed for a given wheel speed.

Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks