• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEAD GASKET

jepsonjj

I think I have a head gasket problem. When the truck warms up, smoke starts to come out of the exhaust. It isn't a fuel or oil odor, it smells like burning straw or grass. Does this sound like anti-freeze? It is possible I have a mouse nest in the exhaust, I'm going to disassemble tonight to check. Does anybody have a Napa # for the head gasket?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Jepson

Barrman

White smoke would be coolant.

Autozone and O'Riellys also carry the head gasket. I bought one a year ago for $28.00.
A compression check will tell you which cylinders are low. You will probably find two next to each other that are way lower than the other 4.

You could also do a coolant pressure test. A hand pump is put where the radiator cap goes and the system is pressurized. You can hear any leaks when you do this and normally get real close to where they are if they are inside the engine.

jepsonjj

Good news. I removed the exhaust and found about 4 " of the muffler packed with wild turkey pellets. Once I cleared the mess, she ran just fine. The pellets must have been stored there by a chip monk or mouse. It smells so awful when it burns, I wouldn't wish the odor on an enemy.

Thanks for all your comments.

Joe Jepson
now running 1952 M37 WOW

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks