• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head lights and markers on at the same time

Carl_in_NH

Break lights function, and running tail lights along with the head lights in Service Drive. Switching to "park" makes tail lights and front markers stay on - but the headlights go off. I don't think there's any way to make the front markers stay on with the headlights enabled.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you splice the tail light wire to the front marker wire. easiest to do this behind the light switch. look up the wire numbers in the manual...........

Carl_in_NH

If you were to cut wire 491 where it goes into the Cannon connector for the headlight switch, and splice wire 491 to wire 21, it would do what you're aksing for. You''ll be adding the load of a couple bulb filiments to the taillight circuit on the headlight switch, but I suspect it would be OK (given the switch also was designed to power the trailer marker lights on that circuit).

M813A1

There is a thread on here that tells you which wires to splice , if I remember correctly it is wire "H" and "L" need to be spliced together behind the three lever switch !! That will allow the front running lights to work with the headlights and tailights!!

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just a thought but if you do that splice with a small switch then you could undo it fast... as when you are pulling said trailer... think i will try that Tim:-D

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what would be the point? do you realize how little current the bulbs draw? 5 watt bulb = <.2 amps. the switch and wiring just don't care..........

Carl_in_NH

#623 bulbs are 28V @ 370 mA ==~10W each. Still it's only an added 20W to the tail circuit. I have no idea how large the contacts are inside the switch, or what they are rated at in terms of current - but I really wouldn't worry about it that much.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last night I searched (knowing this has been covered before) but I did not find the threads that I know cover this modification. This morning I thought about other key words that might find the info. I searched"headlight and running lights same" and found this as well as other posts! walla, your info... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/39826-front-running-lights-m35a2.html

It's all about searching key words!

I have modified a couple of trucks to get the front parking lights on with the headlights. I have tapped into the rear parking light circuit and ran a new wire up to the front and tee'd it to the lights (unplugged the original "park" wires). This way, I did not cut anything, so it could be easily reversed for a purist.

I also tow a commercial trailer with lots of lights on it, and have had no failures yet.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having lost the head lights one time (CB overload at night with trailer) prompted me to wire them on a separate circuit with manual override to boot.
The forward facing amber (parking) lights don't do much good when the headlights are turned on, so I added a marker light on the side along with a light for the turn signal visible from the side. Did the same for the 757.
Circuit and resulting light action in images below....

Attachments

Armada

Another option is to add the 'lollipop' lights to the marker lights and wire them to stay on full time and keep the markers as they are. This is what I did and it worked well. The lolli's lined up with the headlights too. Gives oncoming traffic a better idea of the overall vehicle width at night. Not sure how they're wired in the last pic, but it shows the lights mounted.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks